"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Do you regularly eat bread as part of your main meal?
Gotta have bread every meal! 0 0%
Depends on the meal 31 68.89%
Take it or leave it 3 6.67%
Never. It's a waste of space. 11 24.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Bread With Your Meal

Just wondering...

Do you eat bread as part of your main meal on a regular basis?

Let's not count sandwiches. Also, if you have a dietary issue that prohibits eating bread, what did you do before that came into play?

I do not eat bread as part of my meal. I never really got into the habit. Not at home and not at a restaurant. My Mom and Dad did. So pasta - no garlic bread. Thanksgiving - no rolls. Easter - no hot cross buns. I always felt like I didn't want to use up valuable stomach space for bread when there were so many other goodies on the table.

What about you?

Take a second and complete the poll.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I never eat toast with breakfast, nor do I have bread with any meal.

Occasionally, I'll have toast by itself like a snack before bed.

The only time I have bread as part of a meal is when I make French bread pizza.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
Head Chef

My grandparents had bread with every meal, regardless of the meal. My mom served bread with most meals and now, I find I do to. I think, in part, it becomes a utensil. My grandfather mopped up sauces and gravies with his bread. My mom taught us how to use it as a way to push food onto our forks instead of a finger, especially salad and pasta. I think that's why I still grab a slice with each meal.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I voted depends on the meal. I'm a big fan of bread. I eat bread as a snack. I don't require it with every meal though. At least that's what I tell myself. Sometimes if I don't eat bread with supper I find myself buttering a couple slices twenty minutes later... but not all the time.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've always enjoyed all types of breads. Especially since I've eaten home-baked bread for most of my life.

As for how we eat bread in our house, it depends on the meal, the weather, and a multitude of other factors.

Most weekday breakfasts don't include any bread products. Sundays are another story. If you count waffles and pancakes as a type of bread, yes, we have them infrequently. Breakfast rolls, toast, coffee cakes, biscuits, etc. are also on our weekend breakfast table infrequently but that's because I usually try to serve a nice and somewhat substantial Sunday morning breakfast with a wide variety. I rarely serve the same Sunday breakfast more than once in a three-month period.

Lunches hardly ever include bread, unless crackers count.

When it comes to dinner, the entree dictates whether we have a bread. Chili, white beans and ham hocks, etc. require cast iron skillet cornbread. Beef stew and hearty soups beg for crusty rolls. Main course salads, especially during the hotter months, are accompanied by baguettes, as are a variety of Italian dishes. Roasted meats and poultry are served with several different types of yeast rolls.

After giving some thought to the posed question, I realize that when we have fish, there's rarely any bread accompanying it.

Thanks for the question, Andy. It made me do some thinking.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I don't routinely have bread with a meal. For some reason, I like bread with Italian pasta dishes. I freeze bread and take out only a half or a third of a loaf at a time to use.

More often I am apt to make biscuits or cornbread/muffins than serve "regular" bread or rolls.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I must have missed Andy's fish reference in the original question, but where I grew up we always had bread on the table when we ate fish. That was because a bite of bread helps dislodge a stuck bone in the throat. Not that we always got bones so always ate bread with our fish, but it was there if needed.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Weekday meals, no bread with dinner, meals are usually protein, veg, and starch such as rice or potatoes. On occasion I'll replace the starch with bread if I have something good, like my St. Patrick's day meal had soda bread.

Weekend comfort food dinners will often have bread accompanying them. Holiday dinners always have fresh, homemade rolls.

Weekday pasta dinner, no rolls. If I'm having company and cooking a pasta dinner, I'll often make bread to go with it.

If I didn't have to pay attention to calories, I'd have good bread with every meal, I love bread.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #9
Master Chef

How fun, I didn't know we had polls here. Thanks, Andy!

I voted 'depends on the meal'. If I have spaghetti or lasagna, there has to be garlic bread alongside. If I have fried eggs in the morning, I love a piece of toast to go along with it.

Other than that, I rarely have bread with a meal. It's just too filling for me. When I have pizza, I prefer it to be thin crust, as the regular crust is just too bready. I'd rather have the 'goodies'.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:38 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

When we go to a restaurant, we devour the garlic bread, or whatever other bread that's offered. Otherwise at home, we never have bread other than a sammie.

Tags
bread