Breadcrumbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't refrigerate mine. Never even considered it to be truthful. Getting them cold would risk making them a bit soggy wouldn't it? As to shelf-life, I use the expiry date as a guide only. Smell, look and taste is the only way I tell. I've had my packet in the range of years and for the purposes I use it for, it has been fine. If I was trying to be fancy or using toasted, I would make my own as required.

I have some Italian breadcrumbs that have already been opened and half used. Just wondering if it were safe to use the rest.

To the look and smell okay? If so, taste em. If they are a bit stale, you can try to refresh in the oven. If they don't taste nice at any stage before they are cooked, they won't later on either.

I opened a box of corn chips last night and they had expired. They were stale but I thought they may have still been alright if I covered em up with enough stuff. Nope. The glue from the box had tainted them and they were horrible. Luckily there was enough in the toppings to just eat those parts and chuck the chips. My point being that some things are just gone no matter what you do but you can sometimes salvage.

Was thinking of doing a meatloaf .. will check the crumbs before I use them. :)

I've never had meatloaf but you use them as a thickener don't you? Not as a crumb? Provided they don't have a taint to them and they still look, feel, smell etc right, you probrably okay cos it will get absorbed into the meat mixture. When I put them in hamburgers, I don't even know that they are there. Assuming similar with meatloaf.

Similar .. :)

Using breadcrumbs is a good way to stretch ground beef. Too expensive nowadays.

I never put them in the fridge and I have never had them go back. the ones in my pantry right now have been there (opened) for many months. My wife just used them for a meatloaf a few weeks ago and they were as good as the day we bought them.

Doesn't it scare you that food lasts that long? If it preserves the bread crumbs, I wonder if it's preserving us too? LoL

Doesn't it scare you that food lasts that long? If it preserves the bread crumbs, I wonder if it's preserving us too? LoL
Nope doesn't scare me one bit. What is wrong if it does preserve you? Better than doing the opposite :LOL:

Something like breadcrumbs though should last if you made the bread yourself, toasted it yourself and crushed it yourself. Nature of the product. You have already taken out the moisture. Dehydrated things last longer.

Another good point!!! Thank you all so much. :) Gonna tackle this meatloaf with confidence now. LoL

I broke my food processor and haven't replaced it yet. Also, I'm very lazy. hehe

Get stale bread, stick it in a plastic bag (zip lok is good) and hit the life out of it with a wooden rolling pin or similar! (if you want to be boring or don't have a wooden rolling pin, you can just roll it over the bag!) Or double bag (or even triple depending on your bag) and jump up and down on it. Exercise your frustrations!!

Get stale bread, stick it in a plastic bag (zip lok is good) and hit the life out of it with a wooden rolling pin or similar! (if you want to be boring or don't have a wooden rolling pin, you can just roll it over the bag!) Or double bag (or even triple depending on your bag) and jump up and down on it. Exercise your frustrations!!

ROFL You must be getting a bit overtired!!! LoL Send a video of YOU jumping up and down on it. <falling on the floor laughing>

I would be falling on the floor - in pain - not laughing!! Can't jump high enough anyway to get maximan impact. I'd be whacking it with the rolling pin that I've had since I was 6!! Good for whacking the life out of something!!!

It *is* preserving us, in the sense that it dramatically slows the growth of harmful bacteria that would otherwise cause food poisoning. I think that's a *good* thing :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom