"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 11-28-2015, 08:44 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Cheryl, they used to be available all year long at one time. About the time we moved here, I couldn't find them. I figured it was a regional thing and New England already had its share of cranberry foods. Then a few years later, poof, cranberry muffins at the holidays. So I stock up, then ration them until I run out.
CG, you can freeze fresh cranberries is you wish to make your own English muffins. I have been doing it for years. My daughter loves cranberry breads. Any kind. When I was doing a lot of baking, I used to make the English muffins all the time. Or I would make a loaf of muffin bread for her to slice herself for toasting. I miss baking. It is my favorite part of cooking for my kids. Unfortunately, as we have all aged, breads have become a lesser part of all our diets. Fewer calories for everyone.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:41 AM   #12
Senior Cook
In Italy, and in general around most of the Mediterranean, bread is a very important staple, and buying it's ok if it's for a family, but it's just my husband and me. and that's why I started making my own - the bread goes stale very quickly, and is then only good for making breadcrumbs for frying. In Italy it is generally never thrown away because of the religious connotations. You can only put so much of it to other uses, and that's why I do my own, always have some in the freezer just in case, and always have homemade breadcrumbs for frying on hand for whan it comes in handy.

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

di reston is offline   Reply With Quote

bread, breads