Breads, Breads and More Breads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
There are only two of us in this household. We don't eat a lot of bread. However, I was rooting around in the freezers yesterday and was amazed at what's in there.

We have:

Sliced bread
Hot Dog Rolls
Hamburg Rolls
Deli Rolls
English muffins
Flour tortillas
Corn tortillas
Corn muffins
Pumpkin muffins
Cranberry muffins
Banana muffins

(the muffins are quick breads)

It works out for us. We have it worked out so we can defrost and/or toast these breads so they are like new. I don't really see another solution. Can't buy bread by the slice or two hot dog rolls, etc.

Are we alone in this or do you guys do the same??

I didn't know you could freeze tortillas.
As to the bread, I just make a 1 lb loaf when I need it. Then I either make bread crumbs with the leftovers or feed it to my outside flying pigs. (Sparrows, doves and grackles). Cost about 50 cents a loaf.
I also learned to make my own tortillas.
Down here a 4 lb bag of corn flour is $1.98. You just have to look on the ethnic aisle not the baking aisle. The expensive part for corn tortillas is buying the press. But that is a one time cost.
Oh and by the way, my bread machine I got this summer has now paid for itself in savings over buying bread at the store.

My freezer tends to collect cheese.

I prefer to make my own breads, but I do keep some in the freezer for when I can't get to make it. I usually have pizza bases, ciabatta, foccaccia, arab breads and wholemeal bread - I see no point in making just one loaf, so it's one for now and the other in the general freezer.( I have a small separate freezer just for meat)

di reston

I found when I retired a few years ago I pretty much quit making sandwiches for lunch every day. Love Sandwiches. Now, when I buy bread, I split the loaf into 2 and half goes in the freezer pronto. Probably should be split into thirds. The only way I like frozen bread is toasted, and I don't always want toast, so I have to plan bread use accordingly, and that makes my brain hurt sometimes. :ohmy::angel:

I don't think I have ever been able to buy hot dog buns that match the amount of hot dogs. So there is usually one or the other lying in wait in the freezer. I sure would like to find a decent tasting hot dog/ burger bun somewhere too.

I keep both corn and flour tortillas in the freezer. When I open a pkg, I separate them with sheets of wax paper and into large size freezer bags. Both the wax paper and bags are re-usable. And even if the tortillas come in a zip lock bag, I just find a different use for those, just not in the freezer.

I just re-discovered English muffins when I went to McDonalds for breakfast in the afternoon when they first added All Day breakfasts to their menu. I thought, Hmm, I can make these at home and not leave my yard. Otherwise I hadn't had an E-muffin in years unless on eggs bennie. I just repackage them into freezer bags and pull when needed. This makes the little girls happy too, as I also remembered Tuna Melts are good on english muffins and they get spoonful treats. Now that's what I call McWhiska's.:sleep:

Quick breads, corn bread and muffins. Don't currently have any. I do make banana, zucchini bread sometimes, and frequently make corn bread or muffins. I pretty much consume these before they get stale. Buttermilk biscuits, on the other hand, I don't care for too much beyond a day or so. I haven't ever tried freezing them for later.

Frozen bread dough balls. white or whole wheat and once in awhile, mixed. I didn't care for their cinnamon roll flavor, at least the brand I used. I sometimes will buy this and pull and let rise one or two at a time. Once I unknowingly bought a "family size" I think 18 or so. They will get freezer burn if not used within a reasonable time.

So the freezer on the top of the refrigerator only holds so much and bread has to share space.

I currently have 5 dinner rolls leftover from T'sgiving. Plus I ate some yesterday. Guess we had enough bread and no teenagers for dinner.

My freezers frighten me. I have no idea what's in them anymore. Probably some bread products somewhere in the depths.

Stuffing, 2 hot dog buns, and a partial loaf of DH's favorite gum-shredding-when-toasted whole grain bread come to mind.

Last edited:
Since I became a diabetic I only buy bread 2 or 3 times a year. A normal size loaf of low carb bread, package of high fiber English muffins or whole grain mini bagels goes into the freezer and lasts several weeks. I have a slice of toast or half an English muffin for breakfast maybe once a week and a grilled cheese sandwich about once a month.

I think using less bread must be a trend that commercial bakeries are beginning to pay attention to. I see these Kings Hawaiian 4 packs in my local Wegman's.

Original Hawaiian Sweet 4 Pack Dinner Rolls | Products | King's Hawaiian Bakery

I do like Whiska does and put half a loaf of bread in the freezer when I come home with a new one. I buy whole, unsliced loaves at Panera so much that they pretty much know that when I walk in anymore. I've also laid in a surplus of homemade scones or muffins when they cool enough to pack up, since they will all disappear in record time if they aren't hidden away someplace safe. And right now, since Thomas' has their seasonal cranberry English muffins on the shelf, I'll buy a package whenever I see them and freeze them - just take the cardboard insert out of the bag and stack the muffins so they take less room and have less air space in the package.

I also keep Naan bread just in case we get a craving for pizza NOW. I usually have enough interesting toppings-type foods to make worthy pizzas in a short amount of time. Haven't tried freezing any real flatbreads, though. I just might start tossing the leftover tortillas in when I open a package...

I don't usually keep much bread in the freezer. I just looked, and have half a loaf of Ezekiel bread (I love it toasted), some French rolls, a partial loaf of whole wheat, and a few corn muffins. When I do bake (which isn't very often), half usually goes in to the freezer right away.

CG, funny you should mention the Thomas' seasonal cranberry English muffins - I had one for the first time a couple of days ago when I was at a friend's for coffee. OH. MY. Those are amazingly good! I'm going to the store tomorrow to stock up - hopefully they still have them. :yum:

Last edited:
Cheryl, they used to be available all year long at one time. About the time we moved here, I couldn't find them. I figured it was a regional thing and New England already had its share of cranberry foods. Then a few years later, poof, cranberry muffins at the holidays. So I stock up, then ration them until I run out.

I hardly ever think to buy English muffins, although I love them. Seems when I do, I just grab a package of cinnamon raisin ones, I like those. I'm a big fan of cranberries, so def headed to the store tomorrow to stock up on some of the cranberry ones. Yum.

Cheryl, they used to be available all year long at one time. About the time we moved here, I couldn't find them. I figured it was a regional thing and New England already had its share of cranberry foods. Then a few years later, poof, cranberry muffins at the holidays. So I stock up, then ration them until I run out.

CG, you can freeze fresh cranberries is you wish to make your own English muffins. I have been doing it for years. My daughter loves cranberry breads. Any kind. When I was doing a lot of baking, I used to make the English muffins all the time. Or I would make a loaf of muffin bread for her to slice herself for toasting. I miss baking. It is my favorite part of cooking for my kids. Unfortunately, as we have all aged, breads have become a lesser part of all our diets. Fewer calories for everyone. :angel:

In Italy, and in general around most of the Mediterranean, bread is a very important staple, and buying it's ok if it's for a family, but it's just my husband and me. and that's why I started making my own - the bread goes stale very quickly, and is then only good for making breadcrumbs for frying. In Italy it is generally never thrown away because of the religious connotations. You can only put so much of it to other uses, and that's why I do my own, always have some in the freezer just in case, and always have homemade breadcrumbs for frying on hand for whan it comes in handy.

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Back
Top Bottom