Breakfast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbie24

Senior Cook
Whats your fav make ahead breakfast recipe? My newborn is keeping me up at night so i try to make breakfast either the night before or on sundays for a few days and i need new recipes. Any ideas and whats your fav make ahead? Thanks.

I'm not on The South Beach Diet, but do get their e-newsletter because they do have some great fast & healthy recipes - including some great breakfast recipes that can be made ahead, & in some cases even frozen. Here's the link to their free recipe site.

http://www.southbeachrecipes.com/

During the school year, I try to make a pan of egg bake Sunday night so we can grab a piece and go in the mornings.

The recipe isn't really a recipe ... just what I throw in a pan. The base of it is:

3 day old buns or 6 slices of day old bread - cubed (I like the buns because they have more body and don't seem to get as soggy. I usually scour the day old rack at the store for their onion rolls or their cheese rolls, freeze 3 and use 3)
6 to 8 eggs beaten with 1/4 cup of milk, 1 can diced green chilies and 1 cup of cheese

Spray baking dish with oil.
Place cubed bread in dish.
Pour egg mixture over bread.
Let settle a few minutes, then sprinkle another handful of cheese over the top. Bake at 350 until set (about 45 minutes).

This makes a 5 x 9 pan (I use a rectangular pyrex refrigerator dish).

You can add whatever you want to this ... I usually throw in some sausage or bacon. We've also tried it with left over hamburgers chopped up (not bad), tomatoes (a little "looser" in the end) and left over stir fry (not bad either).

Again, I like it because you can just grab a piece, reheat for a few seconds in the microwave and you are done.

Whats your fav make ahead breakfast recipe? My newborn is keeping me up at night so i try to make breakfast either the night before or on sundays for a few days and i need new recipes. Any ideas and whats your fav make ahead? Thanks.

The recipe is in my Betty Crocker cookbook at home, but quiche makes a good make-ahead breakfast. It tastes good hot, warm or room temp. You can put in whatever veggie, protein and cheese combos you like.

I like to make bannana bread or a breakfast pie that I use frozen hashbrowns for the crust, and then eggs, cheese, peppers, onions, mushrooms and ham for the filling. I've also used spinach. You can put whatever you like. Just cook the hashbrown crust about 10 minutes in the oven and the add the filling and pop it in the oven the next day. Congratulations on the baby.

A fritatta, if made properly, is dense enough so that you can slice it into wedges, put the uneaten wedges into sandwich bags, and store them in the refrigerator for a few days worth of breakfasts.

Just remember that a fritatta contains egg, meat, vegetables, potatoes (traditionally), and cheese. No milk, no flour, and no baking powder. That would be quiche.

This is a huge hit with everyone who tastes it- they always want the recipe.

Reheats well, especially in an oven or toaster oven (to keep the corn flakes crispy and they DO make the dish!)

Lee

BRUNCH EGGS

16 SLICES OF SANDWICH BREAD, TRIMMED
1 LB OF SLICED HAM BROKEN IN PIECES
16 SLICES OF CHEESE – 8 SWISS AND 8 AMERICAN
½ tsp. ONION SALT
½ tsp. DRY MUSTARD
7 EGGS2 CUPS OF MILK2
CUPS OF CORN FLAKES
½ TO ¾ STICK OF MELTED BUTTER OR MARGARINE

Butter 13x9x2 baking pan.

Layer ½ the bread slices, half the ham, 4 slices of the American and 4 slices of the Swiss cheese; repeat layering.

Mix eggs, onion salt, dry mustard and milk. Pour over the top.

Let stand overnight, (preferable), or for a few hours.

Mix corn flakes in melted butter/margarine and spread on the top of the dish. Try not to skip this step, as it MAKES the dish!

Bake 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until top is golden brown.(Note: You can halve this recipe and bake it in a square brownie pan)

Miss Debbie...

I have been giving this some thought off and on since you posed your question earlier. I'm sorry to report, that I have nothing new to add to the other great ideas already mentioned. Except, I would turn a double backward flip for a piece of warm banana nut bread right now!!:LOL: It's killing me!!

So another vote for banana (nut) bread!! Congratulations on the little one too!!!!!!!!

Enjoy!

A couple of thoughts.

First, breakfast foods don't just gotta be "breakfast" foods.

My mom tried to get my sister and I to eat breakfast foods as kids and found it very frustrating. We were picky breakfast eating kinda kids. Don't remember when the epiphany came that one could eat anything at anytime of the day. But after that breakfast became tasty becauxe we could have anything from hamburgers to left over spaghetti (it is great with a fried egg on top).

Don't know if your place would go for that though. But it sure worked for us.

To get to traditional breakfast type stuff:

Crepes are good, about as simple to make as anything, and can made ahead. They last in the fridge for weeks. In the morning put on some fruit such as strawberries, or pears or apples or your choice, that you have let sit in some sugar in the fridge. Wrap the crepes and nuke. Serve with nuked reheated brreakfast sausages.

Can make biscuits beforehand (even the stuff in the tube). A sausage gravy will keep in the fridge. Toss the gravy over the biscuits, nuke, and serve with some fruit.

Breakfast food in my opinion is limited by one's own constraints.

My stomach and taste buds do not know if that really great homemade pizza arrived there at six in the morning or at eight at night.

Just my humble take on things.

Take care, God bless.

Eggs in purgatory basically a good well seasoned Italian tomatoe sauce with rustick cut peppers and some IT sausage and when the sauce is ready put in your eggs on top and cover till done to your liking serve with some polenta all can be made ahead and kept in the frig then nuke it and you have breakfastr

I agree with Aunt dot. Whatever floats your boat , as long as it's got some nutritional value is what you should have for breakfast. I had a cousin who used to eat tuna salad sandwiches every morning. Go figure.

Thank you all for your great ideas. Keep em' coming if you think of anymore.

Uncle Bob thank you!!. That banana nut bread does sound yummy. I made banana muffins a few times then we sort of got tired of it.

I gotta go make my grocery list so i can make some of the things you all suggested.

Thanks again.

Somewhere on here I got a recipe for Swedish oven pancakes. They are soooo good. I can't remember the link may have something to do with holiday traditions. I have the recipe if you don't find it but wouldn't be able to give credit where credit would be due.

French toast, yummy!
Buttermilk, eggs, maple syrop I love it. But you cannot prepare in advance

When I don't have too much time: banana and cereal
Sometimes I bake a cake with either apple or pears inside, it's good, tasty and simple. If someone wants the recipe just let me know.

Back
Top Bottom