Breakfast Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
img_3826.jpg

20160727_break.jpg

The ones in the first pic aren't what I am talking about..possibly, they are locally produced..judging by the colour, they are probably pure pork..
The second pic looks close to the mass produced sausage we typically see in most breakfast places..they also look deep fried, as the home fries also..

Last edited:
I also have gotten tired of the breakfast sausages - I have been searching for a recipe to make my own. Tried a couple so far and they were so - so - not giving up yet

Every year I have participated in the pancacke breakfast held by our church in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. We use my pancake recipe, and bacon and sausage from a local butcher. The links are encased in skin, and are more lean than the sausages available in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. They aren't flavored with much sage. The primary flavor of the sausage is pork, light salt, garlic, onion, black pepper, and maybe a touch of turmeric.

That is pretty common north of the U.S border.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeya, Chief Longwind of the North

The ones in the first pic aren't what I am talking about..possibly, they are locally produced..judging by the colour, they are probably pure pork..
The second pic looks close to the mass produced sausage we typically see in most breakfast places..they also look deep fried, as the home fries also..

That's what I was thinking too. Especially those first ones. They look like they might be a local specialty. Local specialty sausages are almost always really tasty.

Thanks Kayelle, peaked my interest in the sausage recipe going to try it

English Breakfast Sausage (Bangers) Recipe from English Breakfast Society

Yield: 15-20 Sausages

4 Pounds Of Lean Shoulder Pork
½ Teaspoon Of Nutmeg
1 Pound Of Pork Fat
1 Teaspoon Of Sage
3 Teaspoons of Salt
1 Teaspoon Of Onion Powder
2 Teaspoons Of White Pepper
2 Teaspoons Of Thyme
½ Teaspoon Of Mace
1 Teaspoons Of Ginger
2 Cups Of Breadcrumbs
Hog Casings

1. First things first, prepare your seasoning. Mix together two teaspoons of thyme, three teaspoons of salt, one teaspoon of sage, half a teaspoon of nutmeg, one teaspoon of onion powder, half a teaspoon of mace and one teaspoon of ginger, then mix in two cups of breadcrumbs.
2. Now you can start grinding your meat and fat, make sure its cold with a temperature of less than 30°F and grind the meat through a coarse meat grinding plate, a 10mm plate will be ideal. As long as the meat stays cold, grind it again to make sure its as fine as it can be.
3. Throughout the grinding process it is important that the meat is kept at below 30°F, put the meat back into the freezer for a while if it falls below this temperature.
4. When the temperature of the meat drops down, properly mix in your seasoning with your hands to make sure it is thoroughly mixed in, then put it back in the freezer to cool down to below 30°F again.
5. Once your mix is cold enough you can start stuffing your sausages into the hog casing (pig intestines). Stuff the sausage mix into the casing, it should not be too loose and make your sausages as long as you want them to be, twisting them into sausage links.
6. When you have made a string of five bangers, cut off the link and roll the bangers in your hands to fill out the casing properly and get their shapes nice and rounded. If there are air pockets gently prick the casing with a sterile needle and tighten the link to eject the air and fill out the casing.
7. Keep doing this until you have used up all of your bangers mix and once you have rolled all of your bangers into nice looking sausages, tightened the links and properly tied off the ends.
8. Now hang your links for a couple of hours, if you do not want to hang them you can let them sit uncovered overnight in the fridge, do this before freezing them. Your bangers should stay fresh for a week in the fridge and keep for up to a year in the freezer if you vacuum seal them.
9.Alternatively just cook and eat them! There is nothing quite like the taste of a freshly cooked English pork sausage in an English breakfast, or with mashed potato and onion gravy in Bangers & Mash.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom