"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
Head Chef

brie with duck confit sandwiches, with frisee...

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

BrezyCooking- I have never had salami so I wouldn't know, but poultry sounds as if it would go perfectly with brie!

Wyogal- That sounds really good too! You could probably use other kinds of jam too, maybe raspberry. I have never had duck confit, I wonder if I would like it since I hate meat fats. But it sounds really good!

Merstar- Those recipes look delicious! I love avocados so that makes the sandwich even better! I have considered growing an avocado tree but it would be several years before it might start growing avocados! :(

Old 06-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #13
Master Chef

Well, "duck confit" isn't really "meat fat". It's duck parts - usually the legs & thighs - that have been seasoned, cooked in, & then preserved in their own fat. When you re-cook them (reheat them, really), the fat is drained away, so you're not actually eating any "meat fat". What you end up with is well-seasoned, tender, juicy meat - if it's been prepared right.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Okay, that sounds really good!
Old 06-28-2010, 12:29 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to yourstrulyewalani
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
The somewhat "mushroomy" taste of Brie just seems to complement poultry perfectly.
Agreed! The salami we use is pretty thin sliced so it doesn't seem too overpowering. My other half made these sandwiches one day and I was just amazed...we were on a day drive in France and the sandwiches didn't make it to lunchtime.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:00 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

it's funny to assume all salamis are one kind - overpowering.

however, my favourite way of having brie is also baked, much like kads mentioned by just cutting off the top, sprinkling with slivered almonds but only a bit of sugar.

after it just begins to bubble and brown, top with fresh raspberries and plate atop a pool of raspberry preserves in a deep plate, also sprinkled wity toaste almonds..

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Try taking the Brie out of the fridge for about 3 hours before you want to serve it. Cover it loosely with waxed paper while it sits waiting. Serve it with wedges of fresh fruit -- this time of year nectarines and peaches are great. The brie gets so runny and gooey and is so much better than when it's firm, and you don't need to heat up the house at all!
Old 06-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #18
Master Chef

[QUOTE=buckytom;905514]it's funny to assume all salamis are one kind - overpowering.
[QUOTE]

It "might" be funny if that's what I said, but I didn't say that "all salamis are overpowering".

I said that I felt - & I DID SAY that it was simply my personal opinion - that salami was too overpowering a meat choice for brie. I fully realize that there are hundreds, if not more, of different salamis in all ranges of flavors & spiciness.

Did you actually read my post, or are you just trying to pick a fight as usual?
Old 06-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Try taking the Brie out of the fridge for about 3 hours before you want to serve it. Cover it loosely with waxed paper while it sits waiting. Serve it with wedges of fresh fruit -- this time of year nectarines and peaches are great. The brie gets so runny and gooey and is so much better than when it's firm, and you don't need to heat up the house at all!
That is how I had it a few weeks ago! It was served with grapes and crackers. It was great that way. :)

All those ideas sound great!
Old 06-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #20
Master Chef

Yup - perfect way to enjoy it. In fact, if I have Brie in the house, on the weekends when hubby is home I'll take it out late morning & just leave it on a platter on the counter along with some crackers for impromptu snacking during the day.

Tags
apples, baked, brie, cheese, mushrooms