Brine Mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Hate to ask, searched here but can't find a brine solution for whole chickens.

Where is it?

Thanks.

Munky.

You can start with this

I used the table there and substituted apple juice for water when I did a goose last year.. oh yeah.. good stuff.

This is going to be interesting. Thank you Frank :) Is Goose good? I'll have to use plain old water this time around. I could stuff an apple in the cavity! :)

I've never made a brined chicken before. Getting a jump start on tomorrow's dinner. Thought I'd brine, season and rotisserie a few chickens.

Been reading this Dad Cooks Dinner: Rotisserie Recipes on DadCooksDinner He makes it look so easy. Maybe a Munky could do it. :ohmy:

Thanks for the help.

Munky.

All my brine recipes give salt and sugar in grams and liquid in litres.

In Canada most dry measure cups are the same as in the U.S., but most liquid measuring cups have both U.S. and metric measure marked.

This is going to be interesting. Thank you Frank :) Is Goose good? I'll have to use plain old water this time around. I could stuff an apple in the cavity! :)

I've never made a brined chicken before. Getting a jump start on tomorrow's dinner. Thought I'd brine, season and rotisserie a few chickens.

Been reading this Dad Cooks Dinner: Rotisserie Recipes on DadCooksDinner He makes it look so easy. Maybe a Munky could do it. :ohmy:

Thanks for the help.

Munky.
Thanks for the link Munky.

All my brine recipes give salt and sugar in grams and liquid in litres.

In Canada most dry measure cups are the same as in the U.S., but most liquid measuring cups have both U.S. and metric measure marked.
Tax I have rotissed a good few chickens but never brined one, what does it impart?

For my chicken brine I usually only use water and salt. I do not find sugar in my brine does enough for me to warrant adding it. I never measure. I just mix it to taste. I like the brine to taste pretty close to ocean water, but maybe just a touch less salty.

Tax I have rotissed a good few chickens but never brined one, what does it impart?
Brining adds moisture and flavor. When you cook a chicken that has not been brined and you add salt the salt is just on the surface. When you brine a chicken the salt is throughout the entire piece of meat. Not only does this add flavor, but it also gives the liquid a place to go and be held so you are left with a moister end result.

For my chicken brine I usually only use water and salt. I do not find sugar in my brine does enough for me to warrant adding it. I never measure. I just mix it to taste. I like the brine to taste pretty close to ocean water, but maybe just a touch less salty.

Brining adds moisture and flavor. When you cook a chicken that has not been brined and you add salt the salt is just on the surface. When you brine a chicken the salt is throughout the entire piece of meat. Not only does this add flavor, but it also gives the liquid a place to go and be held so you are left with a moister end result.
Thank you GB I will give it a bash.

The sugar is not there so much for flavor, but rather to start to denature the protein in the chicken. This link has lots of information and a good table for amounts. Hope that helps.

I have not had any problems with the protein denaturing. Actually, that is not true. the problem I have is if I am not careful it denatures too much. I need to watch the amount of salt and the amount of time it sits in the brine otherwise that can be a big problem.

That brined chicken was out standing! Barely had I started carving into it when the boys came in. Had a taste. Gone in 10 minutes. They loved it. I think when hubby eventually has his lunch today he's going to enjoy it very much. #2 is on the rotisserie now. I better get some of that one.

Thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated.

Munky.

I have not had any problems with the protein denaturing. Actually, that is not true. the problem I have is if I am not careful it denatures too much. I need to watch the amount of salt and the amount of time it sits in the brine otherwise that can be a big problem.

No no no...I just meant that the sugar is involved in the denaturing process. I don't know whether it retards it or enhances it. I am still researching. I am kind of having fun finding out what the purpose of the sugar is.

No no no...I just meant that the sugar is involved in the denaturing process. I don't know whether it retards it or enhances it. I am still researching. I am kind of having fun finding out what the purpose of the sugar is.

Please let us know anything you find out.

I have always learned that the sugar is there for taste and nothing more. It is to bring out the savory. I would love to hear what you find out after your research.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom