Brine Seasonings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
When I make a brine for chicken or pork, I usually add some seasonings along with the salt and sugar to add some flavor. Most recently for pork chops, I added whole allspice, garlic, bay, candied ginger and peppercorns.

I have seen several TV cooking shows where the only thing added to the salt and sugar is pickling spices.

If you've ever used picking spice to flavor a brine, what do you think of it?

What else do you use to flavor a brine?

I've used alot of different things, but now I just keep it basic and easy. Dill, lemon zest, and some of the rub that I'll be use'n. I don't think I've ever made the same brine twice, the players are usually who ever is w/in reach.:mrgreen:

I am convinced by the science of brining and it benefits...I am not convinced of any significant/meaningful/deep additional flavors of various herbs and spices being drawn into the meat by the process....Any discernible/noticeable/palatable flavors, I think come from a left over residue on the surface of the meat...IMO it's mostly a waste of time and resources.

I use maple syrup, brown sugar, thyme, and the typical brining ingrediants, but brush maple syrup on also before I pan sear and place in the oven to finish cooking... I'm curious now about what UB said... The chops always taste wonderful but I think I need to try them without the addition of maple syrup before searing, this way I can see if the brine itself imparts flavor...

I am convinced by the science of brining and it benefits...I am not convinced of any significant/meaningful/deep additional flavors of various herbs and spices being drawn into the meat by the process....Any discernible/noticeable/palatable flavors, I think come from a left over residue on the surface of the meat...IMO it's mostly a waste of time and resources.

I disagree 100%, w/chicken. Shrimp, I haven't noticed. Pork, I've only done once a while ago.

Chicken and turkey we could tell, cause I did a test with and w/out seasoning cause it really does no good to season the skin, if you want to flavor the meat.Imho. If you want flavor, get it under the skin or in the brine for birds, imho.

Anyway. we have noticed w/chix.

later

I agree with Uncle Bob.

But I do use ground Annatto Seed and some Lime Juice for Boneless Chicken Breast. Not so much for the flavor, but for the reddish orange color it gives the meat. When grilled and julienned and for a Southwest Chicken Salad. The color just POPS against the greens.

Dan

If there are any discernible/noticeable/palatable flavors that tag along in the brining process it would be more noticeable in poultry, and even more so in seafoods due the density of the product...To make a side by side comparison would require the flavored brine sample to be washed off completely, removing any surface residue that would be transferred as part of the flavor profile...Then it would also help if the "taste tester" didn't know which was which.....

Fun!

My thought is that any flavors dissolved in the liquid (salt, sugar, garlic, bay, etc.) would go along for the ride into the meat. I don't see the meat cells being selective about which flavors it lets in and which it doesn't.

Granted, I haven't done a taste test to prove my theory.

I don't so much doubt the science of it as I do the level/amount of flavor(s) that ride along in the solution being really that discernible to the palate...Especially when other flavor components are possibly involved/added during or after the cooking process... Or the cooking process itself....I do know/believe however that the power of suggestion can be very influential....

Fun!

I don't so much doubt the science of it as I do the level/amount of flavor(s) that ride along in the solution being really that discernible to the palate...Especially when other flavor components are possibly involved/added during or after the cooking process... Or the cooking process itself....I do know/believe however that the power of suggestion can be very influential....

Fun!

I hear ya on that!!! It is really hard to do a taste test, but the wife and kids are my "palate" cause I'm cook'n. So, I should say that my "palate" is not the most educated.:rolleyes: Nor is mine.

But, none the less, I add spice to the brine. Even if it is in our head, what is wrong w/that.:mrgreen: Kinda hard to play mind games on yourself though.:wacko: :mrgreen:

later

When I brine my chicken I use salt only. I do not even use sugar. I did not find enough of a difference with the sugar so I would rather leave that out to make it easier and healthier. I like the taste of chicken with just salt so I do not feel the need for other flavorings. if I do want other flavors then those go in the sauce.

all that salt is way more unhealthful than a bit of sugar. i try to find chicken that has not been brined. i have never been sure what is accomplished with the brine. enlighten me please

Hi all, great topic, I just did a brine with ribs and then chicken. Funny thing; after I ate the ribs i thought.....I wonder if i skip the brine and the rub nites, and just baste the hell out of it as usual; would i notice a difference?? I plan on testing that theory soon. I'll let yous know

UB makes a great point about the waste, i've often wondered that myself. Although when i brine poultry i do find a big difference with the juiciness, and sometimes texture. I used to do both sugar and salt but have since got rid of the sugar simply because it's a waste and i don't think it makes a big diff. UB is also right about rinsing the bring off, i've ruined a rack of ribs by not doing this well, i got salty ass ribs.

I would also like to experiment with cooking the brine with all the spices and flavorings, cooling it and then using it to see if any flavor is transfered then. I myself have just used salt, i think it helps bring moisture to the meat, maybe a little salt if not rinsed proper.

At the end of the day, if you eat alot of meat then those brines can get expensive....so back to UB is it worth all the time effort and money?

Back
Top Bottom