Bringing home wrong or weird items

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That, too.... :LOL:

That's the part that makes me the most upset with myself, especially if it was something I really really wanted or really really needed. On the occasion that I'll notice it when I'm in the checkout lane, I'll back out of the line and go get it. But once I'm home, I'm not going back out, unless it was something important, like a prescription or something like that.

A couple of weeks ago I was getting fixin's for Mexican, and I forgot the cilantro :ohmy:. When the checker asked me if I found everything I needed, I mentioned that I had forgotten the cilantro....she had someone go and get me some while she was ringing everything up.

I wouldn't have said anything if people were waiting behind me, though. :)

A couple of weeks ago I was getting fixin's for Mexican, and I forgot the cilantro :ohmy:. When the checker asked me if I found everything I needed, I mentioned that I had forgotten the cilantro....she had someone go and get me some while she was ringing everything up.

Ack!!! :shock:

Now that's frightening. If I'd get home and discover I'd forgotten the cilantro for Mexican food, I would be like "Just shoot me now."

:LOL:

I wouldn't have said anything if people were waiting behind me, though. :)

I dunno. I mean, cilantro is pretty important!

Same here! :yum: A few family members have the 'cilantro tastes like soap' taste buds so if I'm serving them, I have to be careful with it and have some prepped on the side for me. :)

Same here! :yum: A few family members have the 'cilantro tastes like soap' taste buds so if I'm serving them, I have to be careful with it and have some prepped on the side for me. :)

I never did understand people saying that cilantro tastes like soap. I love the stuff. I like chopping some up and adding it to homemade chicken soft tacos and also burritos.

I'm another cilantro lover, and given all of the Mexican, Indian, and SE Asian foods that I make, when I go shopping I ALWAYS think about the cilantro - I either get some, or I remember that I still have a generous amount, so I don't need any.

I have tried to grow it, but it always bolts too quickly, and once it does, it is over with. I wish that I could grow it in the hydroponics, but that didn't work, either. I am glad that it is available just about everywhere now, in my area.

I'm another cilantro lover, and given all of the Mexican, Indian, and SE Asian foods that I make, when I go shopping I ALWAYS think about the cilantro - I either get some, or I remember that I still have a generous amount, so I don't need any.

I have tried to grow it, but it always bolts too quickly, and once it does, it is over with. I wish that I could grow it in the hydroponics, but that didn't work, either. I am glad that it is available just about everywhere now, in my area.

I've tried to grow it too, with the same result. So I gave up on that.

I've also bought other 'forms' of cilantro that just didn't cut it. Dried cilantro? A total waste of money. I've even tried the cilantro that's already chopped up and put into a tube (that I've found in the produce section) and that was a joke as well. The only good cilantro is fresh cilantro.

I've tried to grow it too, with the same result. So I gave up on that.

I've also bought other 'forms' of cilantro that just didn't cut it. Dried cilantro? A total waste of money. I've even tried the cilantro that's already chopped up and put into a tube (that I've found in the produce section) and that was a joke as well. The only good cilantro is fresh cilantro.

I've tried to grow it as well, and have never had good results. Cilantro loves cool weather so on the advice of the landscaping guys, I planted some in January. It still didn't do well and is so fussy that I don't bother with trying to grow it any more. It's cheap, and especially so at the little local Asian market.

I've also tried a couple of brands of dried cilantro, and even my beloved Penzeys brand was a waste of money. It tasted like hay. :ohmy::ermm: LOL

I've tried to grow it as well, and have never had good results. Cilantro loves cool weather so on the advice of the landscaping guys, I planted some in January. It still didn't do well and is so fussy that I don't bother with trying to grow it any more. It's cheap, and especially so at the little local Asian market.

I've also tried a couple of brands of dried cilantro, and even my beloved Penzeys brand was a waste of money. It tasted like hay. :ohmy::ermm: LOL

Oh I know, it was terrible. I was like eeek, this is NOT cilantro. Not the taste I love, anyway. Blech :yuk:

So many herbs are useless when dried, and this is one of the worst!

I have tried many varieties, saying they were "slo-bolt", but to no avail. And many people have told me that it likes cool weather, but this makes no sense, when you consider the regions where this is used the most in their cuisines - Mexico, and other Latin American areas in the tropics, southern India, and SE Asia. These areas don't import all of their cilantro from far away, like we do!

I got some of that Indian coriander seed to plant this season - first season I've seen it in a catalog! Though it's for producing seed, maybe it is also used for leaves over there - I'll find out. Even to produce a large number of seeds, the plant should get large, before bolting. All of mine would be skimpy little things, with a small seed stalk.

I've tried sprouting the Thai coriander seeds (small, reddish, strongly flavored), but none sprouted, so they might be irradiated.

I keep trying, due to my love for cilantro!

I have tried many varieties, saying they were "slo-bolt", but to no avail. And many people have told me that it likes cool weather, but this makes no sense, when you consider the regions where this is used the most in their cuisines - Mexico, and other Latin American areas in the tropics, southern India, and SE Asia. These areas don't import all of their cilantro from far away, like we do!

I got some of that Indian coriander seed to plant this season - first season I've seen it in a catalog! Though it's for producing seed, maybe it is also used for leaves over there - I'll find out. Even to produce a large number of seeds, the plant should get large, before bolting. All of mine would be skimpy little things, with a small seed stalk.

I've tried sprouting the Thai coriander seeds (small, reddish, strongly flavored), but none sprouted, so they might be irradiated.

I keep trying, due to my love for cilantro!
Dried cilantro has no flavor whatsoever! I’ve read that if you want to preserve it, the best way is to chop it finely and put it into and ice cube tray with a little water, then freeze it. I’ve not tried this yet.

When you consider that cilantro is grown in the cooler highlands of those countries, it makes more sense. Try growing cilantro in the early spring and in the fall and you'll have more success.

I grew some coriander one year. It did well in terms of seed production after it bolted. I had volunteer coriander the following year. Since I don't like cilantro, we didn't use the leaves.

Today I went to a produce market that has a lot of Asian produce, since there is demand for it in that area. The same family has a market closer to me, but none of that type of produce, since there are far fewer Asians in this area. I got something today that I hadn't seen for a while - culantro. Tastes sort of like cilantro, but stronger, and the flavor remains pretty much when cooked, or when left soaking in a dish, while cilantro looses a lot of its flavor in these types of dishes. This is why cilantro is usually added at the very end, and I usually just add it to the serving when there are leftovers, as each serving has fresh cilantro flavor.

Not sure what I'll do with this, but I'll find something. Also picked up some bitter melons - something I haven't had since the summer, and these were fairly small - something I don't see often in stores, and even mine get a little too large, sometimes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom