"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Broth vs. drippings in recipes

Hi. I have a question about using broth vs. drippings in recipes. Once you've degreased the drippings, and you would like to substitute them for broth, is the appropriate ratio 1:1? It seems to me that in general drippings are a bit more concentrated than regular broth, so that's why I was wondering. I've never read anything in a book about this, so if anyone has any helpful info, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I think you need both. Defatted drippings aren't usually enough to make a lot of gravy. I always start with defatted drippings and a little fat then add home made turkey stock and flour to make the volume of gravy in want.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think you need both. Defatted drippings aren't usually enough to make a lot of gravy. I always start with defatted drippings and a little fat then add home made turkey stock and flour to make the volume of gravy in want.
Thanks, Andy. Do you ever add water to the drippings since they seem so concentrated? If not, then I'm assuming that you consider the substitution ratio for broth vs. drippings to be basically 1:1?

In other words, to make gravy, either of the following would be acceptable?

4 Tbsp. fat
1 cup drippings
1 cup broth

OR

4 Tbsp. fat
2 cups broth
Old 11-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Neptune, I'm not talking about substitution at all.

Use some of the fat from the pan and all the defatted drippings. Then add flour and stock/broth to make the amount of gravy you want. No water. Water doesn't have any flavor.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
Head Chef

Do you make a roux and then add the liquid in ? or will the flour fully dissolve in the liquid when added ?
Old 11-27-2014, 11:22 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Neptune, I'm not talking about substitution at all.
OK, thanks, Andy. But my original question wasn't about making gravy—it was simply about substituting drippings for broth in recipes and at what ratio. I've never really seen this matter discussed anywhere.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:25 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Do you make a roux and then add the liquid in ? or will the flour fully dissolve in the liquid when added ?
Personally, since I'm on a low-carb diet, I don't make roux anymore. I simply use a low-carb thickener called glucomannan powder. About 1 tsp. will thicken a cup of liquid. I add it to my liquid in the blender, and then immediately blend for about 10 seconds. Then I pour the liquid into a pan and heat it up, and it becomes nice and thick.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:52 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune View Post
OK, thanks, Andy. But my original question wasn't about making gravy—it was simply about substituting drippings for broth in recipes and at what ratio. I've never really seen this matter discussed anywhere.

Sorry neptune, I assumed you were asking about gravy given the practically universal menu for the holiday.

In answer to your question, the flavors are going to be different. I would agree drippings would be more concentrated. They would also have a more complex flavor profile than stock or broth. I'd play it by ear, tasting and adjusting to get what I want.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
What Andy said. I usually buy a few turkey drumsticks and/or wings and make stock before thaebig day.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Sorry neptune, I assumed you were asking about gravy given the practically universal menu for the holiday.
I understand. :)

Quote:
In answer to your question, the flavors are going to be different. I would agree drippings would be more concentrated. They would also have a more complex flavor profile than stock or broth. I'd play it by ear, tasting and adjusting to get what I want.
Thanks for your help, Andy. One reason I'm asking is that I have an ethnic rice recipe that came from my grandmother. It calls for 1 cup of turkey drippings along with about 3 cups of water. I was telling my sister that she could probably make the dish using chicken broth during other times of the year, but I wasn't sure how much broth and how much water to use.

Anyway, your answer makes sense--thank you.

Tags
broth, recipe