Brown Rice in a Stainless Steel Rice Cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chitarrista

Assistant Cook
I just bought a rice cooker with a stainless steel bowl. It cooks white rice nicely. Today I cooked white and brown rice together in it. I don't mind the pinkish color, but the rice that touched the side of the bowl is black/bluish. More or less like black/bluish on our skin when we wear imitation jewellery.

Does anyone know why? Anyone has the same experience?

Thank you.

Make sure it's cleaned well with hot soapy water, then (without rice) add water, 1 cup and 1/4 cup vinegar and steam for 5 or 10 minutes.
You also might try adding a tsp of vinegar to your rice. Rinse the rice well,until the water runs clear, I hope this helps.
Also brown rice takes longer to cook.

PS: welcome to DC

Last edited:
I have a little cheapo rice cooker, and use it often for brown rice. Since white and brown rice cook differently, I would cook the brown rice separately instead of mixing it with the white. Brown rice also takes more water.

Your rice cooker is new, may take awhile to get the factory goo off. S&P's advice is helpful.

Thank you S&P, and Dawgluver :)

Yes, white and brown rice are different in cooking, but over the time, I manage to find the right amount of water for both of them. Well, by "right", it means none of my kids complain about it. Hehe. Tho the white rice might slightly too soft for other people.

I've been cooking like that for years using teflon bowl rice cooker. But yesterday was my first time using stainless steel bowl rice cooker and it was freaky to see black/bluish rice!

I'll try your advice, S&P! I'll report the result ^.^

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom