"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Not sure that's it. The recipe is very similar to my recipe for chewy brownies, albeit doubled, although it's a bit light on flour and heavy on nuts. Pan is also not twice as big as the 9X9 I use.
I'm sure they are delicious...So what do you think is the OP's problem with the recipe?

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
My two recipes are attached. I made the chewy brownies yesterday, and they turned out fine. I somewhat prefer the other recipe, but my wife likes the one I made.
I love those Chewy Brownies from Fine Cooking! I always decrease the sugar by about 2 Tbsp, since I like things very bittersweet, and bake them about 32 minutes in a metal pan. In general, I bake brownies until a toothpick in the center comes out with a few moist/fudgy crumbs attached.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Not sure that's it. The recipe is very similar to my recipe for chewy brownies, albeit doubled, although it's a bit light on flour and heavy on nuts. Pan is also not twice as big as the 9X9 I use.
Not only does the Fine Cooking Chewy Brownies have more flour in proportion to the other ingredients, but it also adds 2 Tbsp cocoa powder. Plus, the 375 F temperature of the OP's recipe sounds like a problem, since the outside will get done way before the centers. This temperature is often used for just that reason, ie, for cookies that are crisp on the outside, and chewy or even gooey in the centers.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I'm sure they are delicious...So what do you think is the OP's problem with the recipe?
I wish I knew! Could be the flour, could be the temperature or time. Or maybe the recipe just doesn't "work" -- baking is not like grilling a steak; it's more chemistry, and ratios and technique are far for important to success.

I suggest the OP try one of the other TNT recipes posted in this thread.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Smile

Hey guys, success! I made another batch this morning using msmofet's recipe and they are perfect. I'd like to thank everyone for their responses, and I intend to try all the recipes I've been given. You are all very generous in sharing these recipes, so I will build a collection from them. I'm just so happy to actually have produced something deliciously edible. I've looked closely at the recipes to see what the differences are, but I'm not experienced enough to see why the first batch were such a disaster. I'll just carry on and enjoy the successes. Thank you.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #16
Head Chef

Great!

I wonder if the person who gave you the original recipe might just have changed something a wee bit? Maybe left something out, or changed the amount of some key ingredient. I've heard of people doing that to guard their secret recipes and to make themselves look like geniuses in the kitchen.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Oooh! I never thought of that. However, it doesn't matter now, I have a great collection of recipes from new friends.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
Hey guys, success! I made another batch this morning using msmofet's recipe and they are perfect. I'd like to thank everyone for their responses, and I intend to try all the recipes I've been given. You are all very generous in sharing these recipes, so I will build a collection from them. I'm just so happy to actually have produced something deliciously edible. I've looked closely at the recipes to see what the differences are, but I'm not experienced enough to see why the first batch were such a disaster. I'll just carry on and enjoy the successes. Thank you.
congrats!! i am so glad you like them. btw did you add the coffee? did you like them with the frosting? some people don't like frosting but these are in the middle brownies.

i knew it wasn't your cooking that caused the problem, it was a flaw in your original recipe.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I didn't add the coffee, as I'm not fond of it, but I did frost them (after sampling one of course) and I like them both ways. I'll probably do half and half each time I make them in the future. I'm wondering what they might be like if I leave out the nuts and add mint flavored chocolate chips instead. First of course, I'll try the other recipes passed on so kindly.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #20
Everymom

blackcat, you should go through the Brownie/Square subforum here. Some of the recipes in there are to die for!