Browning in slow cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koogie

Assistant Cook
Has anyone found a slow cooker or crock pot that can be set to a high-enough temperature so you can brown meat before beginning the slow cooking process? I'd like to make it a truly one-pot meal, but I want the advantages of being able to brown the meat first. I thought I read about such an appliance recently, but now I can't find it. Koogie

I had one that did that once upon a time, many years ago. It had a separate base, and the pot laid on the top, and it could actually be a deep fryer as well as a slow cooker, so you know it had a wide range of temperatures. It was very versatile, the base could be used to make grilled cheese sandwiches and such. It was rectangular. Sound familiar to anyone? I had it 20 years ago, and I think it was a yard sale find Mom came up with, so it was old then. The thing is that it was not crockery, it was teflon coated metal. I don't think the crockery ones are really meant for high heat.

I use my crock pot often..It never has to this day browned a roast.
The newer crocks, not really sure if they can do all that.I don't own one..yet :)

It's just been much easier for me to season up a roast then sear it in a frying pan with a little bit of olive oil,add onions towards the end.
Cook them until they caramelize.Add it all to the crock.Drippings to.
It makes a nice gravy.

Good luck.

Munky

A standard slow cooker will not brown anything. If you want a roasted taste/appearance to anything cooked in the slow cooker, most people will do the browning in a skillet prior to using the slow cooker. I do for roast, ribs, pork chops, etc.

Bob

I used to have an appliance similar to the one Claire mentions - I sold it in a yard sale before we moved down here, and it is one of the things I wish I had kept! I always brown meat in my CI skillet before I put it in the slow cooker. Tastes better and looks better.

Has anyone found a slow cooker or crock pot that can be set to a high-enough temperature so you can brown meat before beginning the slow cooking process? I'd like to make it a truly one-pot meal, but I want the advantages of being able to brown the meat first. I thought I read about such an appliance recently, but now I can't find it. Koogie

Just came across this one.It does everything.

9200 Deni Multi-Fryer

I bought my mom a Rival Crock Pot that that crock could actually be used on the stove top so you could brown your meat in it first and then put in the slow cooker part and cook that way. The only problem was the capacity was not very large.

I have the Fagor 6-qt. electric cooker that is a low or high setting pressure cooker, rice cooker, slow cooker, and it browns. I LOVE this thing and use it once or twice a week.

Many thanks for all the amazingly quick replies. HMGgal, I've got to check out that cooker! koogie

Back
Top Bottom