Browning meat in stainless steel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heidisifein

Assistant Cook
So I've finally bought good quality stainless steel pots and I am super happy with them.The only thing is I used to be able to brown my ground beef in the pot I would then make the rest of my spaghetti sauce in and it take ages for it to boil out the water in the beef before it begins to brown. Is this because I'm doing it in a deep pot? Or is this just the way it is with stainless steel pots? Any tips out there for browning in the pot?

The layers help heat evenly but have no affect on browning meat.

You just need to use high enough heat and not crowd your pan.

It's 5 layer. how do the number of layers affect things?

That's less important than not overloading the pot. You should get the pot really hot then add the meat in smaller batches to brown.

If you put too much meat into any pan, the temperature will drop and the meat won't brown, it will steam. That's what's happening when you see the water releasing.

That's less important than not overloading the pot. You should get the pot really hot then add the meat in smaller batches to brown.

If you put too much meat into any pan, the temperature will drop and the meat won't brown, it will steam. That's what's happening when you see the water releasing.

When too much meat goes in the pot it doesn't brown; it "greys". :LOL:

What's good to remember here is that as others note, crowding the pan will not allow enough space for moisture to evaporate the form of steam. Water boils at 212 degrees F at sea level; if that is as hot as your food is getting, there is no way it will brown since browning (known as the Mailliard Reaction) occurs at 310 degrees F amd caramelization occurs at 320 degrees F. If browning is your desired result, brown in batches as others have suggested, use relatively high heat, and, if using larger cuts, ensure that it is dry before entering the pan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom