"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #11
Master Chef

The bread trick works. I used to use white bread; then I found this cute little guy in a small kitchenware shop...my evil vice when we're on vacation, along with little pottery shop hand-made bowls. Anyway, my brown sugar friend:

Moisten the rough clay, let it absorb any surface "wet", and put it in the airtight container with the sugar. Or, apparently, dried fruits and chewy cookies per the instructions at Brown Sugar Bear - BedBathandBeyond.com.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:29 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
The bread trick works. I used to use white bread; then I found this cute little guy in a small kitchenware shop...my evil vice when we're on vacation, along with little pottery shop hand-made bowls. Anyway, my brown sugar friend:

Moisten the rough clay, let it absorb any surface "wet", and put it in the airtight container with the sugar. Or, apparently, dried fruits and chewy cookies per the instructions at Brown Sugar Bear - BedBathandBeyond.com.

Your little bear is adorable, CG. I've seen them and other clay critters to be used for the same purpose but I've never succumbed to their allure. I have too many other cooking addictions.

But...what I've been doing for years and years is using a broken piece of clay flowerpot for the same purpose. Those of us who garden always have broken pots and clay shards. One day the light bulb went on and I selected some nice-sized pieces of a broken pot and ran them through the dishwasher a couple of times. Since then they've been doing the job a little bear would do.

Alton Brown would be proud of me. My flowerpot went from a un-itasker to a multi-tasker.

Heck, if you feel extravagant, just go to the home center, buy a new pot and whack it. Might even ease a frustration or two along the way.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:12 PM   #13
Senior Cook

This has been a real education: just what a cooking forum is supposed to be. As the topic is sugar, I wouldn't be going off-topic to ask how many kinds of sugar do you use?

About the only sugar I don't use is standard white. I go through about a pound of commercial brown every year, but for different purposes I also use (sulphured) molasses, lactose and invert sugar (for beer), maple syrup and maple sugar (for bacon), malt, palm sugar (but only when making desserts: light brown is fine for cooking), and corn syrup (as distinct from high-fructose corn syrup, which is plain evil) for ice cream, where it makes a real difference to the texture.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by outRIAAge View Post
...As the topic is sugar, I wouldn't be going off-topic to ask how many kinds of sugar do you use?...

White, confectioners, light and dark brown sugars, maple and corn syrups, molasses. On occasion, jaggery.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #15
Master Chef

CG, what a cute little bear! I didn't know you could use clay pottery, or clean shards as Katie mentioned, to accomplish the same thing as bread.

A year or so ago, I made a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies and gave half to my daughter and SIL. They really like soft cookies, so I threw a slice of white bread into the Tupperware container before I gave it to them. My daughter told me SIL had the most puzzled look on his face when he opened the container and saw a piece of bread in there.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:59 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Confectioners, super fine white, light and dark brown, turbinado, demerarra, muscavado, palm sugar, maple sugar, corn syrup (both light and dark), molasses (both regular and blackstrap), maple.syrup, agave syrup, golden syrup, coconut flower syrup, honey are all in my cabinet.

Don't ask.how many salts, oils, mustard, or vinegars I have!
Old 07-11-2016, 11:01 PM   #17
Head Chef

I didn't know and have never tested that cane sugar or beet sugar firmed up better in a jam or jelly.....nor did it occur to me to check that.

I only buy white sugar, I don't eat it, I taste something sweet made with sugar 3 times a year and when I need brown sugar I put molasses in white sugar. DH eats it, likes baked goods, enjoys sweet drinks, food. Now that we are older and no kids at home, not much want for sugary anything.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:44 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
Don't ask.how many salts, oils, mustard, or vinegars I have!
Oh, DO tell :-) But maybe that would be going too far off-topic...
Old 07-12-2016, 04:44 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

That little bear is cute. I have seen them so often in kitchen catalogs. But it was never a top priority for me. A slice of bread will do for now. But I do like the idea of the broken pottery piece. I think I will go to HD and see if they have any broken pieces.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:28 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
That But I do like the idea of the broken pottery piece. I think I will go to HD and see if they have any broken pieces.

I'd think twice about that ...

From my first alma mater, North Dakota State University (nursery school!)

"Tera cotta flowerpots: Some clay containers are designed for food use. However, clay pots from the gardening center are not meant to be in direct contact with food. The clay in garden pots may contain heavy metals, such as lead."

Tags
granulated sugar, other, sugar