Brussel sprouts...help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BakingGirl

Assistant Cook
Anyone have any interesting recipes for brussle sprouts besides cooking them with bacon? Trying to find a tasty and healthy way to cook them. I've never cooked these before so I am excited to try it!

Trim the bottom, cut them in half, and toss with some oil, S&P. Roast in a 450ºF oven until they're softened in the center, and dark brown all along the edges.

My favorite way to cook 'em.

Thanks!

Wow, that sounds so easy and good! Will give it a try tonight!:D

I like the idea of roasting them, but way back when, I used to make them palatable by making a sauce:

Just like white sauce, 1:1:1. Butter, Bisquick, evaporated milk. It is a lovely flavor of it's own, especially with some grated cheddar thrown in. Just toss the roasted Brussels Sprouts in the sauce, or serve on the side.

Wow!

Wow that sounds so incredibly good! Hmmmm....may have to do that soon. Trying to find various ways to do them being I've never cooked them before.

I had always thought of it as something I should cook, but they were so bitter. I just bought frozen, and by slicing them in half or quarters, exposed the insides to this sauce. It was really good.

I've been getting in the mood again because of all the posts where they roast them or saute in bacon fat. I don't see why I can't roast or saute a pack of frozen BS then add them to the Bisquick sauce. Hmm.

I put them on the grocery list.

I love DC ideas. New twist on an old recipe.

Trim the bottom, cut them in half, and toss with some oil, S&P. Roast in a 450ºF oven until they're softened in the center, and dark brown all along the edges.

My favorite way to cook 'em.

That's how I cook them, much better than boiling them.

i also make roastes brussels sprouts. i get the petite ones, halve a few. i then season them (garlic, seasalt, pepper, worchestershire, etcetera). they're excellent w/ meat.

I sauté them all the time. Something I never liked as a kid and this past couple years can't get enough of.
Trim the end, cut in half, peel away the loose leaf or two, place them in some heated EVOO flat side down and sauté til golden brown, turn them over with some tongs, turn the teat down to low, S&P, slowly add a little chicken stock and put a lid on them for ten minutes or so.

Cook up some diced pancetta in a bit of olive oil. Then brown the cut sides of the halved sprouts in the fat for a couple minutes. Add some water, cover & steam for a couple more minutes until just tender.

Remove the sprouts, reduce some balsamic in the skillet, swirl in some butter. Toss the sprouts in the sauce.

YUM!

I like them with a little butter on them. I'm with Charlie about the soup--Brussels sprouts are a great addition to a tomato-based vegetable soup or stew. I also like cold, marinated Brussels sprouts.

:)Barbara

usually i cook petite frozen one with leeks in the micro. then use butter, garlic powder , paprika and pepper. i use real butter. love them this way. if doing a lot for company, will roast them.

I am quite fond of Brussels sprouts, but my DH gets nauseous at the smell, so none get cooked in this house. There was an incident, when he was a child, with burning a field of the stalks...

A squeeze of lemon juice will take away the bitterness. I use it on lots of vegies. Add salt and a little butter if you wish.

When I cook a roast with vegetables, I often add brussels sprouts with the potatoes and carrots. That juice from the meat makes them quite delectable!

I like them with a little butter on them. I'm with Charlie about the soup--Brussels sprouts are a great addition to a tomato-based vegetable soup or stew. I also like cold, marinated Brussels sprouts.

:)Barbara

Cold, marinated Brussels sprouts. Mmm. Care to share your recipe BL? Please?

Back
Top Bottom