"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-11-2004, 05:30 PM   #11
Head Chef

Years ago I went to school in Seattle, and they had many cheap burger places that served relatively small burgers for 20 or 25 cents or so.

But they all served them with obligatory ketchup and mustard on top.

The mustard tasted very odd to me then, but as a student, I ate a bunch of them and sorta got used to it.

Will add mustard to mine now once in a while.

But have never heard of it being popular elsewhere.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with Burger King or McDonalds.

Old 11-14-2004, 01:07 AM   #12
Master Chef

Best burger I ever remember putting in my mouth was a little place downtown that grilled the patties and onions together .... that was in the early '50's. Next best - Crystal burgers .. cooked basically the same way. McDonalds and Burger King are apples and ornages .... McD is fried on a grill and BK is flame broiled. Don't know if the sauce will make a difference when the meat will have a different flavor.

As for the fries .... the flavor comes from the oil. They have different propritary blends that make them taste different. My son used to work for a company that made the fry oil for one of them and he didn't even know the exact mix - but, they are changing the mix anyway .....

Old 11-14-2004, 07:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
McD is fried on a grill and BK is flame broiled.
As for the fries .... the flavor comes from the oil. They have different propritary blends that make them taste different. My son used to work for a company that made the fry oil for one of them and he didn't even know the exact mix - but, they are changing the mix anyway .....
Michael, In Australia a few years back, Maccas tried to upstage Burger King with their flame Grilled Chicken Burger. They had some gadget/press that put fake grill bar markings on the meat. They got into some strife over it and were forced to withdraw it from sale.

I weas reading an article about MacDonald's Fries/Chips and apparently they originally used Beef fat in the deep fryer, that's why they tasted so good, Similar to the British Fish & Chip shops. Now that they have gone all health conscious, they use cholesterol free oils with added beef fat flavor.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:47 AM   #14
Cook

Give me a good old "Greasy Joe" style burger, not these manufactured patties with mayo and pickles. yuk! IMO
Old 02-04-2005, 06:27 AM   #15
Head Chef

Mish's recipe looks soooo good. I keep telling myself not to copy so much stuff, but I had to have this one. You all are such good cooks, I have a file full of great things to try. My husband thinks he died and went to heaven since I joined this forum. Thanks to all of you. :)
Old 02-04-2005, 11:40 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou
Mish's recipe looks soooo good. I keep telling myself not to copy so much stuff, but I had to have this one. You all are such good cooks, I have a file full of great things to try. My husband thinks he died and went to heaven since I joined this forum. Thanks to all of you. :)
Thanks to you too lyndalou. The people here always inspire me. We can never have too many recipes. Wish I had more time to cook.