Burger patty keeps falling apart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And why not? Have you ever had a dough product made without salt? It tastes flat and horrible. You need the salt to bring out the flavor in the dough. That is actually one of the best examples where salt is a flavor enhancer.

Yes, some people like salt for salts taste. Those are generally the same people who oversalt everything and have high blood pressure problems.

I have eaten some foods without any salt added. And some foods I am totally fine with eating without salt. And then there are foods like I mentioned that rely on salt (or another flavor or spice) for pretty much their whole flavor. And I would bet money that if the common person was polled in the street they would tell you they sprinkle a little salt on their corn (another example) for the salt flavor, not to enhance the corn flavor.

I do not know enough to comment on whether or not people who like the flavor of salt are "generally the same people who oversalt everything and have high blood pressure problems".

When I eat potato chips, I taste a lot more salt than potato. At the same time, I have cooked some dishes that were bland and tasteless until I added salt. Then, I tasted the component flavors rather than the salt.

Sometimes you want to taste the food, sometimes you want to taste the salt.

When I eat potato chips, I taste a lot more salt than potato. At the same time, I have cooked some dishes that were bland and tasteless until I added salt. Then, I tasted the component flavors rather than the salt.

Sometimes you want to taste the food, sometimes you want to taste the salt.

Exactly!

And sometimes you have to put on more salt than you really want to because you don't want to taste the food :LOL:

I am not saying that there are nit people who use salt to taste the salt. There is no doubt about that. But ask any person who has cut back on their salt intake and they will tell you that if they try to use the amount of salt they used to then the food tastes too salty. If you use just the right amount then you taste the flavor of the food. And yes salt enhances the natural corn flavor in corn as well.

I think it's a misconception that salt "enhances" flavor. it doesn't. it merely makes your sense more sensitive, not to one flavor, but to any.

Please don not take that articles word for it. Try your own test and make your own informed decisions. I have made countless burgers with salt mixed in and have NEVER seen anything even remotely close to that abomination that they showed in the picture. People rave about my burgers. The texture is great. They are so juicy my friends know not to wear nice clothes when eating them because they will get tons of juice dribbling down their chin. The flavor is delicious. All that I ask is that you they it yourself and see which way you like better. Remember, you can not believe everything you read.

I have to throw my hat in with GB. I have both salted before forming burgers, and when cooking. The textural difference were negligible. However, I prefer the flavor of the burger salted during the cooking process, and that is simply personal preference. My solisbury steaks are well seasoned before forming and cooking. They also come out with a very loose, and juicy texture.

I would need to see clinical proof that salt breaks down proteins. I believe that if that were true, then our bodies would be a pile of mush, as we are filled with salty solutions of one type or another. And I've never had a piece of meat made more tender by salting it.

Alkalies break down proteins, as do various enzymes. I don't think salt does.

As GB suggested, do the tests yourself and compare. That's how I have disproved so many "wive's tales" found in cookbooks, and on TV cooking shows. Just because someone says it's so, doesn't mean that it really is, including my advice. I go to extremes to give accurate information, but am perfectly capable of making mistakes. Again, do the comparisons yourself and make up your own mind what does and doesn't work.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I agree. I've never noticed a texture difference regardless of when I salt a burger or if I don't salt it.

Looking at the pictures in the link, it looks the pre-salted (bad) burger was much more compressed during the patty forming process than the surface-salted (good) burger.

I've never even seen a patty that ill cooked. I can't imagine that salt could do that. I also can't see what the tester would have to gain by messing with the results. That's weird.

Another weird thing from the article was this part.

Patty 2: Seasoned by tossing the ground meat and sauce in a metal bowl before forming the patties.

What sauce is he talking about? Burgers are not made with a sauce.

Another weird thing from the article was this part.

What sauce is he talking about? Burgers are not made with a sauce.

I counted it as a typo of sorts. There was another similar mistake in the article, too.

You have to admit though, whatever he did to that one burger sure produced one ugly looking hamburger :wacko: It almost appears that he through it on frozen and didn't give it enough time.

oops... speaking of typos, I typed through instead of threw, lol.

I know this sounds crazy but try adding some bread crumbs to the meat. I use regular white bread with the crusts cut off and chopped in a food processor. One slice for two regular burgers or one big burger. Try it and you will be surprized how tender the burger will be. Does not taste like meatloaf.

I haven't read all the comments, so I don't know if someone already mentioned this, but I was always a person who tried to turn or flip, if grilling, anything I cooked. I guess I was afraid I would burn something. Giving food enough time to carmelize and brown is important. I've since learned to be patient! Most food tends to stay intact once given the appropriate time to carmelize.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom