"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #11
Senior Cook
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Australia, Australia
Posts: 186
I use salt in my saucepan if I get something really stuck and burnt - but I think that would be way to abrasive if it is non-stick. Shouldn't it just wipe off it is a non-stick pan?

Little Miss J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:36 AM   #12
Sous Chef
JGDean's Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northwest Florida
Posts: 541
The burnt stuff has definitely become one with the pan. I placed the pan in the trash bin this morning. I have a parrot and also have been concerned about fumes. I believe the worst culprits are supposed to be the really inexpensive thin coated aluminum that breaks down easily. I have attached two sites that have a little information. I am weaning myself off of non-stick cookware. I am now down to one small skillet and one large pan. I try not to use them at high temps. I'm going to cast iron and stainless.

http://tuberose.com/Teflon.html http://www.ewg.org/reports/toxicteflon/es.php

JGDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:08 PM   #13
Master Chef
Michael in FtW's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,592
I must admit that I am a little confused as to what you were doing to fuse barley to a non-stick pan ... roasting dry barley, something with a wet batter, etc ... but regardless of what you were doing you definitely got the pan too hot! Non-stick cookware should never be used on a burner turned up more than MEDIUM ... and definitely should not be pre-heated empty for more than about 30-seconds. Once the surface of the pan heats up more than 450-F (some studies say 446-F) it begins to give of toxic fumes from perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) - also known as C8. The higher the temp, the more chemical fumes are released - at least 2 are known carcinogens.

Yes - cheap thin cookware will heat faster than thicker cookware ... but that has nothing to do with the non-stick coating - it has to do with the mass of metal being heated.

Ever look at the instructions that come with non-stick cookware? Ever wonder why the instructions say to only use over MED heat and not put under the broiler, and only safe up to 450-F in the oven?

Originally Posted by GB
To my knowledge no human has ever been affected.
While it is true that small birds are affected first - children and adults can have problems, too. While I haven't run across any studies that link cooking in non-stick to the illness - breathing the fumes has been documented in several studies ... the symptoms are similar to a viral flu that can last up to about 48-hours. In medical literature it is most often referred to as "Teflon Flu" - it is also known as "polymer fume fever".

Of course - cookware is not the only culprit! Things like installing new synthetic-fiber carpets, or spaying Scotchguard on something, can also expose you to some of the same type of fumes released from overheating non-stick cookware.

You can find more info if you google on teflon flu - this is a good site ... as are the sites listed by JGDean.

I, personally, don't think there is much of a health risk if you treat your non-stick with care - such as never over-heating it.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:33 AM   #14
Sous Chef
JGDean's Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northwest Florida
Posts: 541
I knew why The problem occurred - I just wondered if the pan was able to be saved and how. I didn't realize that Scotchguard was bad. I'll make sure to do it outside from now on. Thanks for the tip.
JGDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:42 AM   #15
Head Chef
letscook's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Finger Lakes of NY
Posts: 1,972
It isn't my first time i have done it -- i have put water back in the pan with a some vinegar bring it to a boil remove it from the heat and add dish soap to it then cover it and let it soak a day. You might have to do it again. But I have Had good luck doing that, especially when my daughter started cooking. I also have started going back to cast iron pans for alot of things. season them well and you won't have any pproblems.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:50 PM   #16
Executive Chef
VeraBlue's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
Originally Posted by GB
I love cast iron as well. In my kitchen I have a variety of different pieces of cookware. SS, Ceramic, Cast Iron (both enameled and not) non-stick and they all get used.

What studies are you referring to VeraBlue? I would love to check them out.
I first heard of this through industry publications I'd receive at work. I did some checking myself, recently as well. Check out tuberrose.com, theaviary.com, and an article in the Washington Post from 1/25/06.

How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.