Burnt onion slivers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ham Hock

Cook
Just was wonderin if you guys and gals got this "almost burnt" onion thing going on.

Im cuttin onion in half and making slivers across the grain of the onion, and cooking them in rendered bacon fat until they are almost crispy brown.

Brown, but not crispy, almost there.

You put them in just about anything that needs some onion and WOW do they ever have the taste. You have to watch out with them.

It's a labor of love but BOY do I ever love onions done this way in things.

hey hammy, are they on the wet or dry side? it sorta sounds like what we call frizzled onions. and yes, the're like onion crack.

We call them tobacco onions and serve them with steak (if they last that long) I love them. I did them in duck fat once and OMG they were kickin!

I just cannot figure out duck fat.

All my attempts to do much of anything with it have ended up tasting bland and just too "fatty"

My favorite fats are crawfish and bluecrab, and I know they are hard to get if you arent just right dead on the coast of southern north america.

Burnt onions in those two are just to DIE for, literally.

Duck fat is something i was introduced to while cooking in French restaurants. I always render my own when i break down ducks, I use it for duck confit, and in an onion sauce called suboise (sue-be) (Sorry for going off topic) I bet onions would be great in crawfish fat. Deep frying finely julienned leeks is just fantastic for the flavor and the ability to use them as a garnish

My Sous Chef likes to take julienned leeks, or thinly sliced red onion rings, dust them in Drake's, and deep-fry them until golden. And yes, they are like "onion crack", as I can't stay out of them.

I make a salad dressing doing such. I render bacon (often two kinds...panceta and wood smoked), then caramelize sliced shallots inthe fat, add whole grain dijon, white wine vinegar, olive oil and blue cheese. gently simmer while slowly wisking together...serve over frisee escarole endive and or radicio (I do like em mixed) and top with the crisp bacons.

the bacon, the fried shallots, the blue cheese ... really incredible.

Back
Top Bottom