"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I always quarter onions for roasting, leaving the root end intact. Some of the outer layers may get black but the rest are fine.
Another great suggestion, and thanks.

All of this lends new meaning to the expression,",know your onions!". :-)

Michael

Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
Head Chef

When cooking at such high temps, cover your food until the last 15 minutes of cooking.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

You did not mention oiling the onion rings before adding them to the pan.

Also, don't add them after 20 minutes. Add them after 30 or more minutes.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
When cooking at such high temps, cover your food until the last 15 minutes of cooking.
Do the chicken and potatoes have time to brown?

A great Jamie Oliver tip is to parboil the potatoes and then shake them in a metal colander to roughen up the eggs, before adding them to the pan.

They come out so crispy and crunchy.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You did not mention oiling the onion rings before adding them to the pan.

Also, don't add them after 20 minutes. Add them after 30 or more minutes.
I misted them.

And my first thought was to add them later, and I hope that 20 minutes will be enough for them.

I'm pretty certain that I've been slicing them too thin!

Thanks ;-)
Old 03-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I always pack my onion slices under my chicken or roast meats. They don't burn and they get cooked in the juices that drip off your roast.
That's the way I do it also. They don't burn and they get tasty !
frenchguycooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

My first thought is 50 minutes at 425 seems a little hot. However, I don't know what kind of potatoes or if they are being cut,....need more info. I would cut the potatoes smaller and the onions bigger. I would also think about adjusting the temp and time. Does this get covered in the oven? just not sure. Are the onions meant as an aromatic for the potatoes only? Sorry, try posting the entire recipe so we could spot some possible errors.

-Alfred
Old 04-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredsKitchen View Post
My first thought is 50 minutes at 425 seems a little hot. However, I don't know what kind of potatoes or if they are being cut,....need more info. I would cut the potatoes smaller and the onions bigger. I would also think about adjusting the temp and time. Does this get covered in the oven? just not sure. Are the onions meant as an aromatic for the potatoes only? Sorry, try posting the entire recipe so we could spot some possible errors.

-Alfred
Recipe

Thanks.

Michael
Old 04-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Not sure, but the first thing I notice is The pan would be pretty big to hold 8 pieces of chicken and 16 pieces of potato (8 cut in half single layer). The only real issues I see is in the cooking method, flavors and aromatics look tasty. You are trying to cook several things in one pan using a dry heat method. All of these things can be cooked this way, but you have different sizes, shapes and density which effect the "done-ness" of each. Also, note step # 8. It wants you to "Continue to roast, basting and stirring every 10 minutes" The author wants you to keep checking the dish, they know it could dry out, burn, etc. hence continue basting. Also, it would take my oven longer that 10 minutes to recover back to temp after opening it over and over to baste.
So potato size, don't worry about exactly half, just keep uniform. Some potatoes you may need to cut more than once (like maybe 1/3's). "...a half inch slice of onion, again 1/3's if not in half depending on the size of the onion. It reads to me as onion pieces bigger than potato for same done-ness as others have already suggested. Also covering the dish for the first portion of cooking could help things along as well. Again, diagnosing is difficult without seeing the end product done by the author as well as done by someone following the written recipe.

Hope I helped a little.

-Alfred
Old 04-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #20
Head Chef

Note that sugar starts to carbonize at 350F. Onions have considerable sugar (and so can easily be caramelized). And being formed as layers, there are thin layers to get to oven temperature quickly. Best to saute onions separately or wrap in foil to cook with the meat.

Tags
onions