"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

like mary said (welcome, mary) as soon as you notice that your sauce burned, don't scrape anything up. just pour off the better part into a new pot and go from there adding more tomatoes and extras. it's the blackened stuff stuck to the pot that's bitter.

believe me, in an effort to learn how to make good tomato sauces and not always the time to do it well, i've burned a few in my day.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Glad you were able to salvage your sauce, Mary!

Welcome to DC!

Old 11-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
Master Chef

Welcome to DC, Mary. If you want to never burn your sauce again, you'll need a heat diffuser. Check out this recent discussion here.........

Thingy for stove top between pan and fire

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Welcome to DC, Mary. If you want to never burn your sauce again, you'll need a heat diffuser. Check out this recent discussion here.........

Thingy for stove top between pan and fire
Or use the oven rather than the stove.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've been lucky. Have never burned spaghetti sauce, have always done it on the stovetop.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:54 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

it's the blackened stuff stuck to the pot that's bitter.

Really depends how long it's been cooking with the burbt bottom there - have found the taste percolates up - enough so that doesn't pay to spoil a meal - just chuck it out if you detect the burnt taste.

here's a picture of the diffuser here - it's from above but the forum obfuscates what it's a link to,

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=kcdif...w=1828&bih=995
Old 11-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #17
Master Chef

I burnt chili one time, and the scorched flavor was all through the chili. On a whim, I added maple syrup to the burnt chili. It change the scorched flavor into a wonderful smoky flavor.

I'm glad you were able to save your sauce. The above info is for when you've scorched it bad enough to have to take drastic measures, and go into experimental mode.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I burnt chili one time, and the scorched flavor was all through the chili. On a whim, I added maple syrup to the burnt chili. It change the scorched flavor into a wonderful smoky flavor.

Put a monkey at the piano - and wait long enough - you will get Beethoven

Glad you found solace with your maple syrup - but over the years I have wasted a lot of good stuff and time trying to recover 'mistakes' - throwing good money after bad - as they say - many times it's just best to close your eyes and dump - and start over
Old 11-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

welcome to d.c.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpe View Post

Put a monkey at the piano - and wait long enough - you will get Beethoven

Glad you found solace with your maple syrup - but over the years I have wasted a lot of good stuff and time trying to recover 'mistakes' - throwing good money after bad - as they say - many times it's just best to close your eyes and dump - and start over
The chili was for a cookoff and I was representing our local farmer's market. I couldn't let them down. I put together the flavors in my head and was fairly certain I could transform the chili into something that was worth entering. I got loads of compliments on it.

What I'm saying is that as you experience more situations, and learn to play flavors around in your head, you can sometimes, and I mean just sometimes, fix something that's gone awry.

Of course I've also burned sauces beyond repair. But you don't learn anything new if you don't try things. I will always make an educated guess as to how to fix something that I goofed up. It's who I am.

Alas, I'm no Beethoven. I am, however, a talented amateur.

Oh, and lest I stick my foot in my mouth, I didn't take offense at your comment. Rather, I was just pointing out a need in some, including myself, to repair things. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. But it always teaches me something valuable, even if the lesson is to throw the mess away.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote