Butter Chicken to die for

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austral

Assistant Cook
G'day guys,
I need some help. I've had success with curries in the past, but Butter Chicken (which is my fav Indian dish) always turns out a little disappointing. I need a great recipe for the paste. My Thai curry pastes turn out brilliantly but it's the Indian ones that aren't working as greatly as I would like them to. HELP!

Last edited:
The problem is that you are trying to make a "paste." If you want to use a paste, go buy one in a jar. But most Indians don't cook like that. I make curry about once a week, and have found that much of the trick with Indian cooking is knowing when to add each spice. Some (but not all) are better when fried in oil. Others are better simmered along with the gravy. Others are added toward the end, so they are at their brightest.

The recipe I normally use is in a book and not online, but Andy's looks like a good recipe. One thing to note is that Murgh Makhani is somewhat unusual in a couple of respects. First, it's really designed as a way to use leftover tandoori chicken (kind of like how American households make a roast and then use the leftovers for stew). Second, it contains a lot of dairy in the form of cream. You don't see that in many Indian dishes. Good stuff!

I just had butter chicken yesterday. It is really good! Sadly, I don't like most spicy foods, so most Indian food is not for me.

I just had butter chicken yesterday. It is really good! Sadly, I don't like most spicy foods, so most Indian food is not for me.

You can manage the heat levels in Indian food. If the recipe calls for three chilies, put in one or two.

The problem is that you are trying to make a "paste." If you want to use a paste, go buy one in a jar. But most Indians don't cook like that. I make curry about once a week, and have found that much of the trick with Indian cooking is knowing when to add each spice. Some (but not all) are better when fried in oil. Others are better simmered along with the gravy. Others are added toward the end, so they are at their brightest.

The recipe I normally use is in a book and not online, but Andy's looks like a good recipe. One thing to note is that Murgh Makhani is somewhat unusual in a couple of respects. First, it's really designed as a way to use leftover tandoori chicken (kind of like how American households make a roast and then use the leftovers for stew). Second, it contains a lot of dairy in the form of cream. You don't see that in many Indian dishes. Good stuff!

True about the paste. I never buy it in jars. It's not cooking, it's just re-heating, not exactly fun. The last couple of times I've tried have been frying the spices in oil with **** tonnes of butter or ghee. I just can't seem to get the consistency right.

Back
Top Bottom