"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 03-02-2007, 06:43 AM   #11
Assistant Cook
I agree, use clarified butter or ghee, however most ghee nowadays is not in fact clarified butter as claimed earlier but is made from vegetable oils...

You can make clarified butter at home by very slowly boiling butter in a pan, the solids will stick to the bottom and the water will boil away, leave to cool slightly and pour off the pure clarified butter.... make a load as it keeps in the fridge in a sealed container for ages!!!

www.cooksbooks.info Personal and independent cook book reviews an recommendations.
winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:51 PM   #12
Senior Cook
i NEVER use margarine... stopped about 12 yrs ago.

i use BUTTER in my seafood recipes.
i use clarified butter or ghee (added to another oil) for searing, etc.

and as the other guy said, don't worry if it starts smoking... just add the meat and it'll cool things down from there. after that, adjust the heat down just a little.

black chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:43 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
I have gotten more used to cooking with straight butter in the meantime. You're right, heat has a lot to do with it. I am cooking at much lower heat now than what I used to. Probably because my new pans conduct much better.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:25 AM   #14
Just FYI, I spotted clarified butter for the first time in my dairy case at Harris Teeter. Didn't get it 'cause the sticker shock (about $9 for a 1 lb. tub), but it's nice to know it's there. I've been cooking with butter for years, and sometimes, I'll add some olive oil to raise the smoke point, but overall, keep the heat down a bit, don't be afraid of a little brown or smoke. I usually add whatever I'm cooking when the butter stops foaming and the color changes from yellow/clear to light amber.
evenstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:30 AM   #15
Senior Cook
If you heat the oil first then you can add the butter

right before you put the meat in to sear. The butter doesn't have to be COMPLETELY melted so if it appears to be browning to fast adding the meat will stop it from burning.
Lizannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:03 AM   #16
Master Chef
Throw away the margerine, for sure. It's vegetable oil in solid form via hydrogenation. Use liquid vegetable oil instead.

And/or butter.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
Yep. Don't even have any margarine left and don't intend to buy any. I have spreadable butter for my toast even.
Two kinds of butter and three kinds of oil... not counting what I keep in my fryer. I'm sure that's low my many of you, but that's a lot for me.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:06 AM   #18
Senior Cook
Using clarified butter is the answer and you can do this very easily. If you don't want to make this every time then make a large batch and freeze it. Add the butter AFTER you add the olive oil and keep your heat at medium to medium low. I do this all the time and have no problems. I wouldn't use margarine for ANYTHING. Stick with butter. Oops sorry for the pun.

VegasDramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote