"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 02-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
Sous Chef
I am in the salted butter camp myself. I read or saw somewhere {Jacques or one of those other French Chefs} scoff and toss out salted butter when found opting for unsalted, baking and cooking. "Back-in-the-day" it was imperative to salt butter for spoilage reasons. As time went on people just seemed to prefer the taste.

Just because someone tells you that you can't do something doesn't mean you have to listen.
PolishedTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I prefer salted butter also.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #13
Master Chef
Site Moderator
I started buying unsalted for baking and it was just easier and less confusing to keep only one kind in the house so now that is what I use. Although I have been known to buy the salted if no baking is imminent and it is on sale for a really good price (K-Mart had salted butter for $2.00 lb not too long ago.)
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #14
Master Chef
Site Administrator
I use unsalted for cooking and baking and usually have one stick (or part thereof) in the fridge and the rest in the freezer.

I keep salted butter in the butter bell for spreading.
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I use unsalted for cooking and baking and usually have one stick (or part thereof) in the fridge and the rest in the freezer.

I keep salted butter in the butter bell for spreading.
Just about exactly what we do. Haven't seen any reason to do any thing any differently.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef
The argument that salt is added to butter as a preservative or to mask off flavors in older cream is an outdated one. With modern manufacturing and supply processes, this is simply not an issue. Dairys deliver cream to butter plants daily. It is processed into butter. Some has salt added and some doesn't. It's shipped out and sold.

For quite a long time recipes were developed using salted butter because that's all there was generally available. Betty Crocker, Good Housekeeping and Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks all used salted butter. Switching to unsalted won't make a recipe better. There isn't a lot of salt in salted butter. It's not what's going to make a difference in your life.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
unsalted. i can always add my own salt, and i'd be more apt to taste the salt more that way (still crystallized), therefore in less quantity which s better for my health.

and fresh butter, really fresh, is awesome. no need for salt unless you want it.
that's often the case with people who aren't affected cardiovascularly by salt, so they saturate their tastebuds with it. but that's another thread.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #18
Senior Cook
Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
I'd always used unsalted for everything, just cuz that's how I grew up. When I started working with historic foods I began using salted butter. It should be obvious why.

In my experience with the two: When I use salted butter for cooking, I can not tell the difference between it and unsalted. However, if used as a spread on breadstuff, the saltiness comes right through.

FWIW: The salt content of modern butter is there as a flavor element. There's not enough of it to actually serve as a preservation medium.

So, what it boils down to, IMO, is that salted or salted is a matter of personal taste, rather than something that really makes a difference.
Most people spoil garden things by over-boiling them... if they are overboiled they have neither any sweetness or beauty. Hannah Glasse 1745
HistoricFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
A couple of posts mention that there isn't that much salt in salted butter.

I decided to check the nutrition info. Turns out the salted butter in Canada, or at least in Quebec, is saltier than the US stuff.

10 grams of salted, Canadian butter, ~ 2 teaspoons: 80 mg of sodium
10 grams of salted, US butter: 58 mg of sodium

That could add up really quickly. 100 grams of butter - 800 mg of sodium in Canada, 580 mg of sodium in the US and that's less than a 1/4 pound of butter. It's in a lot of recipes.

2400 mg is the recommended daily amount of sodium.
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #20
Executive Chef
I did a very rough translation from 2400 mg into teaspoons and got 1/2 a teaspoon as my answer. Note that this included a very iffy conversion from weight to volume measure, arguably flawed at best.

I'm very bothered by the amount of salt people consume (in US, CA, EU or anywhere) but I'm particularly bothered by the amount of salt that I myself consume. Half a teaspoon is getting into the area that I'm very uncomfortable with. I think the 2400 mg RDA is very important, important enough that I think everybody should heed the warning and set that as their maximum.

Only problem is, there's so much salt in everything that it's hard to tell when you're nearing the borderline.

Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote