"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I did a very rough translation from 2400 mg into teaspoons and got 1/2 a teaspoon as my answer. Note that this included a very iffy conversion from weight to volume measure, arguably flawed at best.

I'm very bothered by the amount of salt people consume (in US, CA, EU or anywhere) but I'm particularly bothered by the amount of salt that I myself consume. Half a teaspoon is getting into the area that I'm very uncomfortable with. I think the 2400 mg RDA is very important, important enough that I think everybody should heed the warning and set that as their maximum.

Only problem is, there's so much salt in everything that it's hard to tell when you're nearing the borderline.
Usually figure 1 tsp of salt as the recommended amount for one day.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Usually I figure the RDA maximums are too much!

Or if they're minimums, then not enough...

Irrespective of the 1/2 teaspoon (mine) or 1 teaspoon (yours) I worry about all the salt used in so many of the foods we eat, unless I make my own foods from whole natural ingredients where no salt is added. How much of the RDA is contained in foods you don't control the salt in? I don't know...

Old 02-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Unsalted for baking/sweet stuff, because there is usually a tiny amount of salt needed for pastry etc. and salted butter is too much. Salted for savory cooking, because I leave the salt cellar in the cupboard and am not tempted to over-salt. Silly in it's own way, but it works: enough butter is enough salt for most of my savory applications.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Usually I figure the RDA maximums are too much!

Or if they're minimums, then not enough...

Irrespective of the 1/2 teaspoon (mine) or 1 teaspoon (yours) I worry about all the salt used in so many of the foods we eat, unless I make my own foods from whole natural ingredients where no salt is added. How much of the RDA is contained in foods you don't control the salt in? I don't know...
It's usually easy enough to have a look at the nutrient info and it's shocking how much salt there is. The other culprit is eating out. Just assume there is far too much salt in the food if you are eating out. Salt tastes good and enhances the tongue's ability to taste foods, so most cooks/chefs are reluctant to cut back on salt.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraC View Post
Silly in it's own way, but it works: enough butter is enough salt for most of my savory applications.
You're probably right. Or in any case that can be corrected by people at the table, depending on whether they have a salty tooth.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #26
Sous Chef

un.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #27
Head Chef

I use only salted butter. Why? Because if I run out of salted butter I would be tempted to use the unsalted and frankly that is like eating lard. I'd rather do without altogether than eat the unsalted.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I use both. Unsalted for baking, salted for table and savory. My salt intake is very low, too low sometimes and has caused me problems.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:13 AM   #29
Sous Chef

In Italy we use only unsalted butter, both for cooking and for dressing. Salted butter, burro salato, is hard to find and is not a traditional fat we use here, while some local producer makes it (and you can obviously find salted butter produced abroad).
Old 02-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #30
Head Chef

I've recently happened upon a local source for really good European-style rye bread, which makes heavenly toast. So last trip to the grocery I splurged on a half-pound of Plugra, unsalted. When I got home, I divided it into tablespoon-sized servings, which I wrapped in foil and have put in the butter compartment in the fridge. I take out a cube in the morning for spreading on the bread before toasting - a daily little piece of luxury. The Plugra has a sort of tangy flavor that I like a lot, although I think the salted version would be very good, too. Due to blood pressure concerns, my salt intake has been lowered to seldom using a shaker and buying unsalted butter, whatever brand. I generally buy the store-brand unsalted butter for baking.

Tags
butter