"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #31
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Usually I figure the RDA maximums are too much!

Or if they're minimums, then not enough...

Irrespective of the 1/2 teaspoon (mine) or 1 teaspoon (yours) I worry about all the salt used in so many of the foods we eat, unless I make my own foods from whole natural ingredients where no salt is added. How much of the RDA is contained in foods you don't control the salt in? I don't know...
Sodium only makes up part of the salt not all of it. Since sodium is less than half of the weight you need to double it (that gets the teaspoon instead of half teaspoon).

Old 02-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #32
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
How much of the RDA is contained in foods you don't control the salt in? I don't know...

But it's easy to figure for anything other than restaurant food. Just read the labels.

A few years ago, in one of its meaningless changes, RDA was dropped. They now call it "Daily Value." Every food product, in it's nutritional listing, has a column "%DV." So all you have to do is add them up.

For example, I just grabbed, at random, a jar of peanut butter. The label says there are 130mg of sodium per serving, which is 5%DV. A serving is 2 tablespoons.

So, if you eat four tablespoons of peanut butter you've ingested 10% of the daily value.

If you're really concerned about nutrition, I recommend checking out the USDA's proactive Composition of Foods database. Being married to a diabetic, I practically live over there.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Whoops! Left out the link. It's NDL/FNIC Food Composition Database Home Page
Old 02-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
Whoops! Left out the link. It's NDL/FNIC Food Composition Database Home Page
Do you know about their free software? Nutrient Data Products and Services

It's what I used to get the amount of sodium in US salt. For the Canadian stuff, I just read the label.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Yeah, I knew about that. It's just as easy for me to go on-line, though. And I don't have to remember to update the file, as it's already done for me.

Either way, it's a great improvement over the old printed version, called Agricultural Handbook #8, which was outdated before it was printed. Databases like the composition of foods is where the web really shines.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Sodium only makes up part of the salt not all of it. Since sodium is less than half of the weight you need to double it (that gets the teaspoon instead of half teaspoon).
That's a good point, but my conversion from weight to volume was incredibly flawed anyway.

I just realized a better way to figure it. The nutrition facts on my table salt container states 1/4 tsp. is the serving size and has 590 mg of sodium. That converts to 2360 mg per teaspoon. That's very near the 2400 recommended maximum, so more or less the recommended maximum table salt intake is about 1 teaspoon.

Still, I'd rather not eat that much if I can avoid it.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #37
Master Chef

I use salted butter, unsalted has no taste at all to me.

Several people have talked about freezing butter. I've been using salted butter all my life, and have never frozen it, although I generally don't buy more than a pound or two at a time.I've always refrigerated it but I've never ever had butter "go bad". What are the symptoms of spoiled butter?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I use salted butter, unsalted has no taste at all to me.

Several people have talked about freezing butter. I've been using salted butter all my life, and have never frozen it, although I generally don't buy more than a pound or two at a time.I've always refrigerated it but I've never ever had butter "go bad". What are the symptoms of spoiled butter?
A rancid taste. A fresh butter should taste like sweet cream or salted sweet cream.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
A rancid taste. A fresh butter should taste like sweet cream or salted sweet cream.
It also changes colour. It gets a bit darker.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It also changes colour. It gets a bit darker.
That's mainly what I've noticed. I live alone and it takes me a fair amount of time to go through a pound of butter, particularly since I use margarine too. Years ago I wasn't sure you could freeze butter but I tried it and it worked out fine, so now I remove one cube from a new package and put the rest in the freezer, bring a cube out whenever the current one is almost gone.

I'm pretty sure a family of four who eats a lot of butter could quite easily go through a pound before it can change color or go rancid.

Tags
butter