Butter - Sticks, tbs and oz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snoop Puss

Head Chef
I'm a Brit living in Spain. So sorry for asking what is probably a dumb question for 99.9999% of the DC population:

What exactly is a stick of butter? I've been guessing it's what's sold as a standard 8 oz /250 g block in Britain and Spain. But I've just spotted a sweet potato halva recipe that has 2 sticks to three sweet potatoes. Wow. That's a lot of butter if my assumption is right. Can someone confirm what a stick of butter weighs?

Plus, I think under the Dutch Babies thread there's a recipe that calls for 4 tbs of butter. But in the instructions, it says 4 oz. If I cut a 4 oz chunk of butter, it looks like more than 4 tablespoons to me. When you all say a tablespoon of butter in your recipes, is it a kind of shorthand for an ounce? Or is it that a US tablespoon is bigger than a European tablespoon (15 ml, according to the measures I have)?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Okay - I'll give it a shot! In America, our butter is usually sold in 1 pound pkgs that are divided into 4 'sticks', each one being 1/4 pound, 4 oz, or 8 tablespoons.

Re the Dutch babies recipe, it looks like there's an error there; I'll post the question to Corazon, but I'd wait on doing that recipe til she answers!

Re the sweet potato recipe, our 2 sticks would be 8 oz. total, whereas it sounds like your 'sticks' would be a pound!

Hope that helped a little!

Thanks Marmalady. Most definitely did help. Now I'll be a bit more confident when tackling some of the recipes posted on DC.

Here is what a stick of butter looks like...

Attachments

• stickbutter.jpg
    stickbutter.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 237
A picture is as good as a thousand words, GB. Thanks. I have to learn how to post pictures too. My description of Puy and Salamanca lentils would have been obviated by a photo or two!

I am glad that helped!

To post a picture, make sure you have it saved somwhere on your computer. Then when you are typing your reply here in DC just scroll down a little. You will see a button that says "magane attachments". Click on that. A box will pop up and from there you can browse to find the picture that you have saved on your computer. Hit "upload" and then you can close that window. Then when you post your message the picture will show up.

Back
Top Bottom