"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Butter vs. margarine

I am new to baking and trying to figure a few basic things out that I have never learned before.

When baking what is the difference between butter and margarin, and then what is the difference between salted and unsalted. What is the best to use when baking?

Old 01-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Margarines differ a great deal from one to the other and mostly contain a lot more water and less fat than butter. While this may be a good thing for reducing calories, it's not necessarily a good thing when cooking.

Recipes that call for butter do so for the fat and the flavor. I always use butter as it's a natural and real food. Many margarines contain trans fats.

This is not to say that you can't use margarine in many recipes with reasonable results.

I'd bet you can use regular salted butter in almost every recipe. Unsalted butter is often called for in baking recipes. There's no reason to avoid it. Salted butter tastes much better on toast or bread. If you choose to use salted butter, you can always cut back on added salt in the recipe. Salted butter does not contain all that much salt.

Salt is added to butter for flavor. Back in the old days, it also served as a preservative but with modern refrigeration and production methods, that's really not an issue.

In the USA, sweet cream butter is at least 80% fat. The rest is water and milk solids.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Agree with Andy M., I also use butter, cause of natural ingredients.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Good point about salted vs unsalted butter. I know that some recipes call for unsalted butter so that you can control the amount of salt. With margarine or salted butter it is harder to really know how much salt is in there. Some things work well with margarine, and there are some out there now that don't have the trans fat, but you need to look for it. Also, some are half butter and half margarine. That works well for some cookies.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Head Chef

Butter!!!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I prefer butter although it got a really bad rap for a long time. On the salted vs. unsalted matter....I always use salted, even in recipes. I've never reduced the other salt called for in a recipe and don't seem to notice any difference in taste.

Just remember that the stuff that comes whipped and in a tub is not good for anything except spreading onto bread or topping veg, etc. It has too much air and/or water in it to use for baking.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Now if you have a recipe from Paula Deen, you had better use BUTTER!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
Master Chef

To add to the information already given, lard, or rendered pig fat, has a higher melting point than does butter. It has no flavor, and is the preferred fat for pies and many tarts. Butter melts fast and will cause a single crust pie crust to fold inward before it has time to set up from the heat. If you need the flavor of butter for your cookies, then use it. But if you don't, your cookies will be more fluffy if you use lard. In addition, believe it or not, lard is lower in cholesterol than is butter.

Now don't get me wrong, many recipes have to have butter, and their are ways to make it work in a pie crust. But the techniques are more involved. I'm just saying that both have a place in my kitchen. And both are used sparingly, that is, pies aren't made frequently. Oh the terrible irony of foods. Many that taste incredible are not very healthy and are certainly not good for the sugar challenged population. Fortunately, there are some pretty darned good foods that all of us can eat.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I use butter as well. If a recipe calls for unsalted, I will use it, but for spreading on breads I like the salted as it seems to have more flavor.

Another thing to remember, if you are using margarine do not use tub margarine for baking.

Barbara
Old 01-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
Master Chef

As much as I agree with everythig that was saidalready, I have to tell you that my wife bakes exclusivly with margarine. Not becasue we like it, but becasue a lot of times we cannot have dairy products, let's not get into reasons why. But she has gotten to the point that her chocolate cookies, for example are better with margarine than with utter. She just really knows how to twick with dough to get it just right. What I am trying to say is that if time comes up when you cannot use butter do not be afraid to use margarine.

Tags
butter, lard