"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
Head Chef

As others have said, self-rising flour instead of AP flour and raising your temp to at least 450 (I actually bake mine at 500) should solve your problem. I also would recommend a good quality soft winter wheat flour like White Lily or Martha White.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
As others have said, self-rising flour instead of AP flour and raising your temp to at least 450 (I actually bake mine at 500) should solve your problem. I also would recommend a good quality soft winter wheat flour like White Lily or Martha White.
I was going to suggest the addition of some soft flour.

I always use some soft flour when making biscuits. I got that idea from Alton Brown. He said that AP flour in the South is softer than AP from other parts of the country.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:53 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenholzner View Post
So i'm from Georgia and moved to Utah a few years ago. Ive recently been interested in mastering my nanny's southern buttermilk biscuit recipe. Unfortunately for me its one of those that goes by feel rather an approximate measurements. I tried it without measuring and failed miserable at the dough consistency. The next day i found the exact same recipe but with measurements so i tried it last night. The dough was beautiful, felt great, i baked them and the tops and bottoms were beautifully colored, the flavor was there, but the inside was doughy layers that refused to cook. So heres the recipe:

2-2 1/2 cups flour (i used all purpose and not self rising, this may be a major part of my problem)
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup shortening

400 for 15-20 minutes.

First off at 400 after 20 minutes they barely even had any color on them so i upped the heat to 450. 20 more minutes later they were beautiful! Or so i thought...also my nanny never rolled them out and cut, she just pinched off palm fulls, rolled in her hand then patted down onto the greased baking sheet,so thats what i did. I'm not looking for flaky, i'm looking for fluffy.Now i'm thinking its a mixture of me needing to use self rising flour, and my added altitude here in Utah. But before i destroy my kitchen another night, i would like some tips. Should i switch to self rising? Should i add some baking powder?Is the temp off? What am i doing wrong!!!!

Thanks so much!

-Jen
I have never seen so much self-rising flour in a store as I have since moving to South Carolina. I would bet your nanny's recipe called for that, but when she wrote it down she didn't include "self-rising" because to her that was a given.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

I know ha! I should have known self rising,but hey atleast its the first thing I thought of when they weren't cooking :)

So thanks guys,I think I'm gonna try self rising flour,use cold ingredients,not overwork the dough and bake at 450...ill let you all know how it turns out,or if it doesn't turn out...either way ill post a pic,thanks all!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #15
Head Chef

I had a Kentucky lady teach me how to make biscuits, and she always browned hers under the broiler for a minute or two.

Don't leave the kitchen while this is going on--it is only a moment between perfectly browned and charred!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Whether it's pies, bread or biscuits, I've found that milk is the best browning agent for brushing the top. It removes any need for using a broiler... which is just another process step, and one that can go wrong if not careful. I figure why risk it if it's not necessary. (K.I.S.S.)
Old 04-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #17
Head Chef

Welcome to DC Jen.

Josie
Old 04-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

So here they are! They don't look EXACTLY like my nanny's but i guess when it comes to biscuits, to each their own :) Heres what i did:

2.5 cups self rising flour
1/2 cup shortening
1 and 1/4 cup buttermilk

I pinched of and patted them down touching on all sides lightly onto a greased baking sheet in a 450 oven but they took like 22 minutes, which was kinda long to me, and the bottoms barely browned. They taste great but are a little dense for my liking, i think 20 minutes may have been a bit too long. Next time i'm going to take Selkie's advice and brush the tops to get them brown faster, and i'm also going to place them in an already hot cast iron skillet. I saw on the back of the flour bag to bake them at 425 for my altitude...but i did not do this. Wondering if that even matters. Either way, my boyfriend loves em! And thats kind of all that matters :)