"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Buttermilk Biscuits from Pancake/Waffle mix?

Is there any way you can make biscuits using buttermilk pancake and waffle mix? If it's possible it'd be wonderful, itd save me a trip to the store.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmatica08 View Post
Is there any way you can make biscuits using buttermilk pancake and waffle mix? If it's possible it'd be wonderful, itd save me a trip to the store.

Help is greatly appreciated.
i just googled and found this recipe. i guess you could use any mix.

Continental Mills - Buttermilk Pancake Mix

Buttermilk Biscuits

2 1/2 cups Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake Mix
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 egg
Preheat oven to 425F. In medium bowl, stir together pancake mix and remaining ingredients until dough forms. Transfer dough to lightly floured surface. Roll out dough and fold in half; turn one quarter turn and roll to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Place biscuits side by side with edges touching onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Makes nine, 2 1/2-inch biscuits.

Variations:
Cheddar Biscuits: Prepare buttermilk biscuits as directed, adding 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and 1 teaspoon dry mustard. Bake as directed.
Sour Cream & Dill Biscuits: Prepare buttermilk biscuits as directed, substituting 1/2 cup sour cream for the water and adding 1 teaspoon dried dill weed. Bake as directed.
Drop Biscuits: Prepare buttermilk biscuit dough as directed. Drop dough by heaping tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 425F 10-12 minutes.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Check the box/bag...There may be a recipe there!!

Welcome to DC....

Have Fun!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I wouldn't add an egg to it for biscuits. Just mix in a little additional baking powder and cut a bit more shortening into the dry mix until it's like coarse flour. Add in enough water to make the dough and knead for 10-15 seconds before pressing out on your floured cutting board.

I made scones from Belgian Waffle mix the other day and they came out just right.

SRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Senior Cook

No egg for biscuits...

Here is a common and wonderful biscuit recipe
1 cup flour, 1 Tbl. sugar, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1l2 tsp. baking soda, 1/4 tsp. salt. Mix together and cut in 2 Tbs. shortening. Pour in about a 1/4 cup buttermilk, mix, then knead dough and flatten to about a half inch. You may need to sprinkle a little more flour on the dough. I use a drinking glass to cut biscuits to shape and place on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 for about 8-10 minutes. Makes about five. However, I have been using a cultured buttermilk powder instead of buttermilk. I believe it makes flakier biscuits. You can alter the recipe by adding an egg, substitute cooking oil for the shortening, and add about a cup of buttermilk and you have great pancake batter.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Executive Chef

you certainly can with biskwik mix