Butternut squash overload, need ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
I have an elderly farmer friend that has brought me about 20 butternut squashes. Now what to do with them all.
I will cut some up for the freezer, roast some for the freezer.
I like in a vegetable soup, at times added to my pot roast and have as a side dish.
Need some ideas and recipes of your favorite way to fix them.
Also the 20 I have left is after I have given to neighbors, family, friends, and was going to the local food pantry and he had already been there.
Happy Holidays to all and guess what we will be having as a side dish!

You can pickle them! I dont have recipe for it sadly but what I have tasted is yummy.

You can make pureé and use in breads, cakes, pies and soup.

Winter squashes such as butternut will store for a long time in a cool, dark, dry place. You can keep one in a basement/cellar for months. They can easily last all winter under these conditions.

We keep the squash in the basement for 4-5 months. Pumpkins don't last that long, but the squash do as long as there is a stem still on them.

I like squash-ginger-coconut soup with a chicken-stock base. I also will make squash pie (instead of pumpkin).

Make pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin cheesecake, etc...

Cut several of the squash in half and bake until tender, scoop the squash from the shells and mash. Freeze the mashed squash in recipe sized containers and use like you would canned pumpkin.

Whatever you can't store whole, I would do as AB suggested and bake, mash, and freeze in one or two cup portions.

I HaTe butternut squash

But made a soup out out of it I like with a can of coconut milk, fish sauce and sriracha....

I'd give it away because I'd never use it up ....

Do driveby drop-offs. I do that when my apple tree is too prolific. They never know what hit 'em.

Last edited:
Do driveby drop-offs. I do that when my apple tree is too prolific. They never know what hit 'em.

;) Well, since the food bank already got some from her friend, I would suggest she deliver them in the next town over. He probably has covered all the porches in the area where she lives.

Other ways to use the squash:
1.Cook, mash, and combine with curry powder.
2. Add cubed to meat pies or pasties.
3. Large Cubes, bake and drizzle with maple syrup.
3. Add cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and sweetener, throw into the blender with a bit of ice and make smoothies.
4.fried squash chips, dusted with either savory, or sweet flavors.
5. Halve, remove seeds, and stuff cavity as you would a large zucchini, but with a mixture of ground beef, onion, diced spuds, maybe some diced tomato, celery. Put halves back together and bake until cooked through.
6. Freeze whole and use as a personal defense weapon :LOL:.
7. Training device to use to learn to throw something, like you would in the Olympics. :rolleyes:

Yeh, that's all I've got.

Seeeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks everyone
I have already peeled and cubed 8 of them and put in freezer
6 of them I roasted and mashed into 2 cup servings and frozen
A cousin gave me a recipe for a pasta sauce and a squash and leek soup.

dice OO, Salt and Pepper. 425 until tender and freeze. I use this for Risotto, soups, sub in a sweet potato soufflé or just as a side with grilled fish.

We used this recipe https://floridafoodandfarm.com/recipes/recipe-roasted-butternut-squash-and-smoked-gouda-pie/ to make these
37240-albums1041-picture6714.jpg

And they were REALLY good. Left out the edemame, only partially cooked the butternut, cooled, cubed it, then finished roasting. Used an empanada dough with egg wash but you could use regular pie dough or just make a pie. The dipping sauce was a cilantro/lime juice combo but I'm not sure what else Craig put in it.

I've also done a ravioli filling with parm and nutmeg, then a brown butter, sage sauce with toasted chopped walnuts (Craig likes them even though I'm not crazy about them), plus another sprinkling of parm. Just drain lightly salted pureed squash really well in a cheesecloth or single-ply paper towel lined colander overnight or sautee until dry over medium heat, stirring constantly and watching it like a hawk cause once it starts to dry it will quickly progress to burning.

We used this recipe https://floridafoodandfarm.com/recipes/recipe-roasted-butternut-squash-and-smoked-gouda-pie/ to make these
37240-albums1041-picture6714.jpg

And they were REALLY good. Left out the edemame, only partially cooked the butternut, cooled, cubed it, then finished roasting. Used an empanada dough with egg wash but you could use regular pie dough or just make a pie. The dipping sauce was a cilantro/lime juice combo but I'm not sure what else Craig put in it.

Those look delish, Med, and I'm not a squash fan.

They were, though I'm not sure about making empanadas again. For me, they are far worse than making raviolis for some reason. Course it would probably also make a good tamale filling if you didn't want to go the pie route.

I much prefer the butternut squash out of the orange hard squashes. To me, it has a milder flavor than pumpkin and butternut is a heck of a lot easier to peel and work with than acorn squash (which is good if you want to make a soup bowl out of it though).

Craig's been fussing about the fact that we got the Spiralizer attachment for the KA and haven't been using it so I've been looking for some ideas. Found a butternut squash pasta recipe with mushrooms, italian sausage and kale (though I'll sub spinach or swiss chard) and a vegetarian dish of butternut noodles with cashew harissa cream sauce and brussel sprout chips. We'll probably make one or the other this week.

Back
Top Bottom