"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Normally -the price includes all that- the " cut/wrapped/frozen " is part of the deal- you could buy it cheaper if you want to process it yourself , If you are used to processing deer or moose it would be the same job. regards Gage

Old 12-23-2008, 07:18 PM   #12
Master Chef

That is a fair price assuming, as UB said, it is Choice or above. We used to do this growing up, buy half a cow and half a pig. But in our case it was a meat locker and you were actually buying a certain number of each cuts, etc. not a specific animal. When you needed meat, you just called ahead to let them know which of your cuts you wanted, then swung by and picked em up.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #13
Master Chef

Ask them for the tongue and liver!
Old 03-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
Head Chef

I know, I know, it's an old thread--but good information.

We just received a half a beef. (seriously--it will last us for 2 years for 3 of us) Last year we went without a deer and only bought meat rarely and I have two meat eaters that learned to love eggs and legumes (not together) for our protein (or starve).

When a roast is labeled 'tip roast'--what do you suppose that means? Is that short for sirloin tip?

Also, we received the heart (it's huge), what shall I do with it? I'm a little squeamish about this. I have a grinder.
(I missed giving something like this away for valentine's day--'have a heart'.

And the oxtail--I learned how to make a good oxtail soup--so that is working for me.

And the tongue--again I'm a bit squeamish about it. I don't know what to do with it.

There's a big bag of suet--ideas? --The hamburger is VERY lean, can I grind the suet and add it to the hamburger as I use it? Is that a bad idea--is it unhealthy due to cholesterol or any other reason--would it make a juicier hamburger?
Should I instead render the suet and use it to make soap?

We are just doing an inventory of what we just put in the freezer. It was $1.90 carcass hanging weight and .42/lb cutting and wrapping. 405 lbs hanging weight.

I need your ideas and information if you care to help me out. Please! You are all so helpful.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #15
Master Chef

My parents used to do this often. The first time they bought a half, they didn't ask for the fat and extra bones. After that, Mom figured out that she was paying for a half of the cow, she wanted all of it. She rendered the suet, and we used it for everything. I have to say that the process was incredibly stinky. My husband says his mother used to render pork fat as wel, and that it smelled bad as well. In our case, we were a good-sized family and every dime counted. Once the fat was rendered, the resulting lard was so yummy, we used it for everything.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
And the tongue--again I'm a bit squeamish about it. I don't know what to do with it.

I need your ideas and information if you care to help me out. Please! You are all so helpful.
This is how I like to cook tongue.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Ask for the marrow bones! and the heart. That sounds about right. I think the last time I bought 1/2 a beef, I had 275 lb of meat. You will need a freezer large enough. I had my ground beef packaged in 1-1/2 lb and had the roasts cut, boned, and tied.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #18
Head Chef

Claire--I forgot about pie crusts with lard, they turn out so nice and taste fabulous. Then, I think I'll render it, out on the deck over the grill. Thank you for the good idea.

Powerplantop--thank you for the video, it give me an idea how to cut it and cook it. What do you suppose they did with the parts of the tongue they didn't grill? Is that something I could roast and use in a beef broth?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Blissful--I just got 1/2 a deer, including the heart. I pierced it and slide slices of garlic in it, put it in a pot with water and the type of spices on uses for corned beef. I simmered it until it was about 180 F. It was tender and oh so delicious (hot, and on sandwiches). I would do the same with a beef heart. They are large, however, so you might want to cut it in half and just cook 1/2.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Ask them for the tongue and liver!
...and one tri tip since it's only half a cow.