"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Buying half a cow?

I was thinking about buying half a cow from the local farm/market. Is $2.40/lb. a fair price? The ad says that it includes all normal processing... BTW, it's Angus beef...

Old 12-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

1/2 Live weight or 1/2 carcass weight? What grade of Beef? Choice? Select?

Hate to post and run...but these are need to know questions....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Executive Chef

That seems fair to me at UK prices = I paid 2.40 for my laast hind quarter. Also think of the price you would pay for those cuts individually.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
1/2 Live weight or 1/2 carcass weight? What grade of Beef? Choice? Select?

Hate to post and run...but these are need to know questions....
That's carcass weight hanging. They don't specify the grade, but I assume it's choice or better. This farm/market has an excellent reputation, and I've never had a bad piece of meat from them...

Here's the link: http://www.wmeats.com/bundles.html
Old 12-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We did that one year... the ground meat we fine but all the steaks...were tough and very hard to chew,even the "good" cuts. Make sure that you're getting the meat from a good cow. NOT that I have any idea how to tell a good cow from a bad one.

Good luck and happy eating!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
Cook

We have bought half a cow before, it all depends on where you get it from. Mine was great. They did all the cutting and packaging right down to I told them 3 steaks a pack. It was great. And the meat was good. Good luck
Old 12-08-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I had good luck doing that before. Your price sounds about right. I know my butcher charges more for a hind quarter than a front quarter because you get more steaks from the rear. He packages like I want and even uses a vaccum sealer on all the meats. Even his premade burgers.

To add, I've checked this out a couple of times and I don't thik you really save any money buying beef this way. The last three times I weighed each box as I brought it in, then figured out the price per lb for the whole lot. It's pretty good for steaks, but you don't get the majority of the meat in steaks. It's pretty high for the burger and the other cuts. For convenience it's great having a freezer full of beef, but pricewise you don't really save any money.

And my butcher said his beef is considered.... ackkk, I can't remember.... I posted it here before in one of the threads like this. Prime or choice. I know not select.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsanX View Post
That's carcass weight hanging. They don't specify the grade, but I assume it's choice or better. This farm/market has an excellent reputation, and I've never had a bad piece of meat from them...

Here's the link: Wyttenbach Meats LLC
I would check on USDA Grade before your purchase...Buy only Choice Grade or better. A top of the line animal should yield around 65-70% percent of usuable meat. The rest is bone, fat, waste etc. At 400 lb hanging weight you could expect 260 lbs (approximate) of meat of all types ---Steaks, Roast, Hamburger, etc. --- The $2.40 per lb. which includes cutting and wrapping to your specifications is probably in the norm range. Personally I would only buy Grain fed (finished) animals.
HTH...

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I used to raise and sell grass fed Highland beef ( Last price was $ 3.00 lb )-- the important things are , from the buyers point of view -the breed - the grade - how long it is aged- the cutting order. I never sold beef aged less than 21 days and mostly reccomend 28.( Ageing does depend on the carcass somewhat ) another thing most first timers need is a good meat chart ( I gave them one )and a lot of advice on the # 1 thing - the cutting order. Most buyers think it all comes as steaks, you get soup bones - liver -heart - kidneys -shank- shortribs. You want to specify how thick to cut -how many pieces per pakage , how much burger vs stew meat . not easy at first ,but on the bright side , you make sure they keep a record of your cutting order then change it more to you liking the next time . Just be honest about it ,tell the good as well as the bad. Avoiding freezer burn depends on how well wrapped it is, so ask for some customer references.
Alot comes to trust-- how are the sides being obtained ? who is choosing them ? Are you getting what you want ? ie--naturally raised ,or local ,or just saving a bit of cash on the budget ?
You usually pay the hanging weght before ageing , there is alot of wastage -the carcass losses moisture- and so on ,can't remember exactly but 30%-40% plus comes to mind. you also don't want to use all the best cuts first ..... Regards Gage
Old 12-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
Senior Cook

That price sounds about right. I buy my meat by the side as well from a dedicated butcher shop-slash-meat locker, and pay $2.75 a pound on it. But they age the beef a few weeks and don't charge me a slaughter fee, and carve up the meat on request to order free of charge.