Cabbage soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrs.mom

Senior Cook
I am trying to follow a diet, so I've been searching on the internet on special diets to loose weight. So I found something about a cabbage soup. Does anyone know how to cook it? And did anyone try it? So, how does it taste?:question::question::question:

I started making cabbage soup last year for the first time. I had some smoked cabbage I wanted to use up. As a matter of fact, I'm sure I'll be making cabbage soup in a few days. I've made it a few times and don't do anything special. Slice the already cooked (smoked) cabbage, add it to a pot with some chicken broth and water, throw in some other veggies, ham, or whatever else I want to use up. Sun dried tomatoes are good, too. Then I just simmer everything. And it's probably one of the best soups I make. I'm not a big soup eater, but I like this.

Sorry.... But I have never seen smoked cabbage before. What do you do with it? Do you have it as a side? I would love to learn more.

Sorry.... But I have never seen smoked cabbage before. What do you do with it? Do you have it as a side? I would love to learn more.

Well, to keep this OT, I turn some of it into a soup, but usually have a wedge or two as a side after it is cooked.

the diet was actually known as "The Dolly Parton Diet" some time ago. I'll bet it's floating around on the internet with a recipe. Also, look at Russian and Eastern European cook books and sites.

Well, to keep this OT, I turn some of it into a soup, but usually have a wedge or two as a side after it is cooked.

Sorry for going off topic. That sounds great. I've done fried cabbage, never smoked. Thank you.

I'm going to make Cabbage and corned beef soup with the last of the dinner. Should be able to extend it to two people.

How do you make your cabbage soup, PF?

I am eating it now. It's very good!

I diced the last of the carrots, cabbage and corned beef. Sauteed it in a saucepan to heat it up and then put in 1 cup of water and 1 cup of stout. Adjusted salt and pepper. Served over reheated Champ.

Yum!!

I am eating it now. It's very good!

I diced the last of the carrots, cabbage and corned beef. Sauteed it in a saucepan to heat it up and then put in 1 cup of water and 1 cup of stout. Adjusted salt and pepper. Served over reheated Champ.

Yum!!
Bon Appetite:chef:

Cabbage is one thing that's really good cooked in the microwave. Cut the cabbage into wedges and put in a bowl. Sprinkle with S&P and drizzle a little olive oil over the top. Add a can of diced tomatoes with juice, a can of chicken broth and any other vegies you like. I like a little garlic, onions, baby carrots, and sometimes a few new or cubed potatoes. Canned potatoes work best. Cover and nuke until crisp-tender.
If you season the dish enough, it tastes fine without meat.
If you want meat in it, sliced polish sausage is good. I think cooked ground chuck might also be tasty, but I've never tried it.

Last edited:
Very nice, Constance! I think that's the very first microwave soup from scratch recipe I've ever seen. It sounds fantastic.

Very nice, Constance! I think that's the very first microwave soup from scratch recipe I've ever seen. It sounds fantastic.
Same here, Constance. I need to re-visit this one. Nuke until crisp?!

I have a friend and his recipe for a cabbage soup diet that he swears by. He looks too good and his wife is too giddy fun when we get together that I don't break the bubble... replacing fast food with the effort to cook food, doesn't matter if it's cabbage or caramel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom