Cake Flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aussie Perry

Assistant Cook
G'day,
This is a great site to get your catering questions' answered. I was reading an American recipe and it included Cake Flour. I know All Purpose Flour is Plain flour. I presume Cake Flour is Self Rising Flour?
I wonder if there is a book printed 'Converting American Consumables in Australian' There should be. ;);)
Cheers Perry

G'day,
This is a great site to get your catering questions' answered. I was reading an American recipe and it included Cake Flour. I know All Purpose Flour is Plain flour. I presume Cake Flour is Self Rising Flour?
I wonder if there is a book printed 'Converting American Consumables in Australian' There should be. ;);)
Cheers Perry

No. Cake flour is not (necessarily) self-rising flour

Cake flour is a low-gluten flour which produces a more tender crumb in baked goods than AP flour.

Gluten = protein

Bread flour has the most, then AP, then pastry flour, then cake flour with the least

Self rising flour is flour with baking powder added to it

G'day Jenny,
Thank you for your quick reply. The ink had not even dried and I received your reply.
I use what we call Bakers Flour for making a bread dough as that is a strong wheat flour. When I make a Sponge I use SR Flour and Corn Flour that makes a very light sponge. I will look in our Super Markets to see if they stock Cake Flour. I have never seen it here.
Cheers Perry

Being new to baking cakes, I've never stocked 'Cake flour'.. When a recipe calls for it, I use this method found in several places on the internet..
May not be "authentic" but, works for me...

Cake Flour Substitute

To make 1 cup cake flour, put 2 Tbsp. cornstarch in an empty 1-cup measure. Then add all-purpose flour till the top. Sift the mixture 2-3 times to evenly distribute the cornstarch.
Note: Always fluff up flour before measuring..

Ross

Last edited:
Being new to baking cakes, I've never stocked 'Cake flour'.. When a recipe calls for it, I use this method found in several places on the internet..
May not be "authentic" but, works for me...

Cake Flour Substitute

To make 1 cup cake flour, put 2 Tbsp. cornstarch in an empty 1-cup measure. Then add all-purpose flour till the top. Sift the mixture 2-3 times to evenly distribute the cornstarch.
Note: Always fluff up flour before measuring..

Ross
Sometimes it works ;) It depends on what you're making. If anyone is interested in the nitty-gritty of cake flour, check this out: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/why-no-unbleached-cake-flour.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom