Cake flour substitution for regular flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have a recipe that specifies AP flour and you want to use cake flour. OK. AP flour will absorb more liquid than the cake flour so you should either add 10% more flour or reduce the liquid by 10%. If you know the recipe, you can add as needed to get the normal consistency.

For one cup of cake flour put two tablespoons of cornstarch in the bottom of your measuring cup and then fill with regular AP flour, sift well.

I have always thought that cake flour was simply a finer grind of flour than regular flour. That being the case, one cup of cake flour is likely going to weigh a little more than regular flour because it will actually be more flour. That is why cake flour absorbs more liquid.

I know that when I do the opposite, when I need cake flour but do not have it, I put the normal flour through the sifter a few times and the consistancy of the cake is the same.

I have always thought that cake flour was simply a finer grind of flour than regular flour. That being the case, one cup of cake flour is likely going to weigh a little more than regular flour because it will actually be more flour. That is why cake flour absorbs more liquid.

I know that when I do the opposite, when I need cake flour but do not have it, I put the normal flour through the sifter a few times and the consistency of the cake is the same.

But that is not the case...

Cake flour is made from a lower protein, softer flour than AP or bread flours. The result is a softer fluffier baked good.

As I stated in my earlier post, higher protein flour absorbs more liquid than lower protein cake flour so the adjustment I suggested.

But that is not the case...

Cake flour is made from a lower protein, softer flour than AP or bread flours. The result is a softer fluffier baked good.

As I stated in my earlier post, higher protein flour absorbs more liquid than lower protein cake flour so the adjustment I suggested.

And you are absolutely right.

Since baking is science, one needs to understand the science behind it.

Thanks!

Bleached cake flours are especially formulated to absorb high levels of sugar, eggs and water/milk. This produces a fine crumbed, higher-rising, lighter cake than one made with all-purpose.

Recipes utilising cake flour are formulated to take the characteristics of the chemically adaped flour.

All purpose + starch will substitute for cake flour but the chemistry is not the same and some recipes will fail.

Bleached cake flours are especially formulated to absorb high levels of sugar, eggs and water/milk. This produces a fine crumbed, higher-rising, lighter cake than one made with all-purpose.

Recipes utilising cake flour are formulated to take the characteristics of the chemically adaped flour.

All purpose + starch will substitute for cake flour but the chemistry is not the same and some recipes will fail.

You're very right. And it will also obviously affect taste somewhat.

So I guess the flour that I get in China is low protein..because cakes come up pretty well. Bread is another story...cookies also do not do as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom