Cake rising problem - someone please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whiskas2011

Assistant Cook
my coffee and walnut cake starts to rise ok but then the middle doesn't rise in the last 10 minutes or so, why!?

I don't change the oven temp during cooking, don't open the door, have tried different amounts of baking powder, don't break the walnuts up too small and it's driving me up the wall! Every other cake I do is fine!!!

[FONT=century gothic, Arial, Helvetica] Causes:

1 Too much aeration. This may be caused by: (a) Too much sugar used in the recipe. This can be detected by excessive crust color and a sticky seam running in the shape of a U.
(b) Too much baking powder. Difficult to detect because it can be confused with (c).
(c) Over-beating of fat/sugar/egg batter prior to adding flour.

2. Undercooked. This can easily be detected by the presence of a wet seam just below the surface of the top crust.

3. Knocking in oven prior to cakes being set. If during cooking when all the ingredients are in a fluid state, a cake gets a knock or disturbance (such as a draft of cold air) some collapse may take place which will result in the center of the cake caving in.

4. Too much liquid. This is easy to detect because, firstly the sides will tend to cave in as well as the top, and if the cake is cut a seam will be discovered immediately above the bottom crust. Cakes containing too much liquid do not show this fault until they are removed from the oven. During baking, the excess moisture is in the form of steam and actually contributes to the aeration of the cake. On cooling, this steam condenses into water which sinks to the bottom of the cake, collapsing the texture by so doing.
[/FONT]

Thanks for that, I can't see anything I'm doing wrong in what you've said :-(
Just don't understand it, whatever I try has the same result but every other cake turns out fine!!! I've been doing the coffee and walnut cakes for the last 2 years and never had a problem - thown away the last 4 cakes which is DRIVING ME UP THE BLOOMING WALL lol!!!!! As I said, it starts to rise evenly - perfect - but then in the last 10 minutes the middle just doesn't rise compared to the sides.. aaaah!!!!

The only other causes I can think of are:

You're not holding your tongue on the right side of your mouth;

You spoke too harshly to the dog/cat (take your pick);

Someone complimented your coffee cake and now expects it to come out every time;

or

You're brewing the wrong brand of coffee to accompany it!

Really? It just sometimes happens without explanation and not because you've done anything wrong. :huh: :(

HI since as you said you have been using the same recipe for years and didn't change it , I would suspect the problem has to do with the ingredients , chech te expiration date of you baking powder for example.

http://lovecookandeat.blogspot.com

Last edited by a moderator:
the Crisco bug? what's the shortening?

new oven? convection mode?

or a change in pan -
glass / light pans / dark pans bake different.

Thanks guys.. still confused! Same pans, ingrediants practically used the same day as I do so many of the poxy things!!! The odd cake not turning out I can accept (since I know they do get upset if you're wearing the wrong colour underwear) but this has been 5 in a row now. Even woke up during the night trying to work out what's going wrong lol!!!!!

The whole cake baking thing is a chemical process. If you haven't fooled around adjusting ingredients....as an example: cut back on sugar to save calories....there's some thing wrong with the process. Some ingredients aren't right, the oven temperature is not right and it's possible an ingredient quantity has been smudged and you are reading it wrong. The cake sounds delicious. If you get it right, when will it be served so we can be there to test it for you?

New laundry detergent that didn't rinse completely out of your dish towels and spread to pans/bowls when you dried them?

whiskas -

can definitely be frustrating, but here's the bottom line - to quote Sherlock:

when everything else is eliminated, whatever remains must be the truth.

used to work, doesn't work anymore, something has changed.
the challenge is to challenge every "assumption" that "it's the same" to figure what has changed.

Could you post the recipe for us to look at and possibly try it and see how it comes out for us?

Back
Top Bottom