"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Calling all Spinach ologists

Here: I love spinach. One of my better dinners is half a bag of spinach cooked with a little water in a saucepan, and a good hamburger.

But Spinach seems to have met with some sort of misfortune. It seems that for years, we could go to the store and buy a bag of spinach with nice, big, ruffly, dark green leaves. Now it seems that that is only available for a few months, the rest of the time the bags that say "Spinach" contain silly little lollipop-shaped leaves that may be this and may be that but they are are absolutely not spinach.

What is up? What am I looking at here? Am I delusional? How can I make the real spinach re-appear and the lollipops go away?

I want the lollipops to go awwaaaaaayyyyyy !!!!

Mighty Melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
Welcome to DC.

Baby spinach is great raw in salads. Regular spinach should be available along side the baby stuff. If not, tell the manager you expect to see it.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
depending on where you live, you can always grow it yourself. it's very easy to grow, even in containers, and you can choose a variety of seed to plant that will grow those big, ruffled leaves.

avon, teton, or melody hybrids will work.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
Head Chef
got a big sunny window - get 2 big pots and grow inside. start one going and then when half way when you think it is the end of the picking start the other pot going so you have a continued growth. My dad tried this with leaf lettuce and everytime I go visit I get a ziplock bag of fresh leaf lettuce. He has tomatos going now.
If you can't find seeds - You probably can order them on line thru seed company.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote