"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

That's a real good tip. Now you tell me
I always take a couple with the flash and a couple without, then choose whichever one looks better. I don't have good lighting in my kitchen, so sometimes it's better to tone down the pic taken with the flash rather than brighten the non-flash pic up. Although sour cream and a bright flash definitely leave something to be desired..... so even if I salt and peppered my baked potato after putting the butter on, I will usually hit it with the pepper again after putting the sour cream on, just to break up the white

Old 09-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Jeez, I'm so HUNGRY now after looking at all these yummy-looking dishes!

Pacanis, try sprinkling with some parsley, too - makes it look more appetizing, although your pix always look delish anyway I sometimes put a kitchen towel over my stove, put the plate on the towel, and take a pic with the light under the range hood shining down on the food.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Ya know..... I needed to find another use for the parsley I have.
I bought a bunch for the mussels I made last Friday, used very little of it, and have no idea what to do with the rest. I'm thinking my hens are going to be eating parsley in the next couple of days
I'm not into presentation type photography, though I do like looking at the pictures I see on this site. I just want my food to look edible. Some day I'm going to surprise y'all and buy a tablecloth
Old 09-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #24
Head Chef

pacanis, you are a big fan of steak, and if you have not yet been introduced to chimichurri sauce to spoon over your hot steak, you don't know what you've been missing! Delicious!

Lots of chimichurri recipes out there - many with cilantro, which I hate. So I use mostly parsley (the point of this post) and lesser amounts of other fresh herbs I have (I like a little oregano, marjoram and thyme in mine).

Here's an online recipe that's like the one I make. Recipes : Chimichurri Sauce : Food Network

Let me know how much you love this stuff!

Lee
Old 09-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Steak? What, me? LOL

Thanks for the link, Lee! Aside from steak Oscar back when I used to eat out, I never had any kind of sauce on steak.

Pics to follow....
Old 09-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I have a kodak easy share and i love it
Old 09-19-2008, 10:03 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Maybe we could drag Ironchef in on this thread? He was always posting pics of his dishes.

I have a Nikon D40 and love using it. That said, I am "into" photography, and love to take challenging pictures. I am one of two people that take pics of food and buffet presentations at work, although I haven't done this in awhile, as my D40 is a little big to fit in my drawer. The smaller, point-and-shoot type cameras are great for this. One of the managers at work has an iPhone, and I wouldn't be surprised if he takes pics of some of the things at work to document them.

Lighting IS everything. If you are working with a point-and-shoot, you may or may not be able to control exposure, apeture, etc. That's when knowing about the darkness/lightness of the image is critical. The pics of the ribs are a good example. I've noticed that when I'm taking pics at work, I get better results if the plate is on clean stainless steel. A white cutting board, or a poorly-lit area (like my line) is not really the best place to take pictures.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #28
Executive Chef

IC's got a camera phone! rotf
Old 09-19-2008, 01:48 PM   #29
Traveling Welcome Wagon

One thing I like about my Olympus is that it flashes when it needs it and doesn't flash when it doesn't need it. I do love how the cuisine setting works, but some of the settings don't work so well. The night scene and night scene+portrait settings don't work very well (the lights look blurred). The available light setting comes out a little grainy. I use the sport setting when we are driving, and it works great, and the indoor setting works great as well. The landscape and landscape+portrait settings work really well. It even has a self-portrait setting, which works well too. Oh yeah, the behind glass, document, beach & snow, and sunset settings are pretty good. I haven't tried some of the other settings, including underwater. It also has an auto setting and video, both of which work well. It is basically a point & shoot camera, but I love that it gives me a little control.

Barbara
Old 09-19-2008, 03:13 PM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
The night scene and night scene+portrait settings don't work very well (the lights look blurred).
This is because it is using a slow shutter speed. You would need to use a tripod in order for it to not blur. Even at that you should really have a shutter release cord so that the action of pushing the shutter button does not cause the camera to move which will also add to the blur.