"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to MsAnya Send a message via MSN to MsAnya Send a message via Yahoo to MsAnya
Camera for Food Pictures

Hihi :)

I hope this is the right forum to post this in. I am looking for a camera and would love your recommendations.

I want one so that I can take pics of my recipes and post them on my blog. Right now I am using the camera on my blackberry and yea, uh, it leaves more then a little to be desired.

I dont have very much money so inexpensive is the best please.

Any suggestions you have for taking great pictures for my food blog would be much appreciated!

Old 09-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I was just watching a talk show where they gave out a camera with a "gourmet" feature just for food.............oh........what was that show!!!!!!!!!!??? Let me see if I can search it.

EDITED - here ya go! Don't know price, sorry.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I would search your local craigslist for a decent used higher end point and shot, or a used DSLR. I use a Nikon D50, and D80...but depends on the budget you are staying in. Sony makes some GREAT point and shoots!
Old 09-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
Master Chef

Buy the most expensive camera you can afford, don't forget you'll benefit from having trypod.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I do not agree with that advice Charlie. Well I agree about the tripod part, but buying the most expensive you can afford is not good advice. If you are not a photographer and do not plan on learning about aperatures and f stops and other things then buying a very expensive DSLR will be a waste of money. It will not get you better pictures and could even get you worse pictures than getting a decent point and shoot.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #6
Sous Chef

how serious are you about these pic.

I got a $125 kodak camera which has a upclose setting. I pop that on when I take pics of my food. Ill try ti upload some examples for you.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:46 AM   #7
Sous Chef

here is a pic from a wedding at tavern on the green. It was just a quick pic. I could have tried lighting and etc... but you get the point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	example.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	5411  
Old 09-16-2008, 08:09 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

You can take food pictures with just about any good camera (not camera phone). More important than the equipment is the lighting and exposure. These two factors can make the difference between a good and poor picture.

The pictrure on the grill is a much better picture than the picture on the plate of the same ribs a few minutes later.

The light surfaces surounding the ribs (from the white plate and light counter top) effected the exposure meter so the plate and countertop are properly exposed but the ribs are too dark.

The dark grill surface is about the same darkness as the ribs so the exposure there is better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01796-1.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	5412   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01797-1.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	5413  

Old 09-16-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Actually you can take great food pictures with a phone camera if you know what you are doing. It is really not so much the camera as it is the photographer. Some are obviously better than others, but I have seen some amazing photographs taken with phone cameras. I even saw a gallery of photos in NY taken only with phone cameras.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:23 AM   #10
Executive Chef

It's not necessarily how expensive or how new the camera is to take good close-up photos. I use a Kodak Easy Share Z700 and it's by far the best I have used for close-ups. Other cameras you have to depend on the megapixels and zoom to get good results. With the Z700, I just steady the camera, point and shoot. The only drawback to this particular camera is it has a little red tint to some of the shots. (which you may have never noticed until now)

Get one while they last.

Here's some unedited close-ups.