Campfire foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justice O.

Assistant Cook
I am going camping next weekend! What are some of your favorite over the fire meals? Thinking of doing burgers one evening.:chef:

Make a pot of chili this week and freeze it flat in a Ziploc bag, it will help keep other foods cold and be a no work meal, just heat and heat.

If young kids are going then you need hot dogs on sticks, pop corn and lots of marshmallows!!!

Watch a couple of these videos and you will appear to be an expert on campfire popcorn or tuck a couple of Jiffy Pop's in the trunk of the car! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6nD8Se5uFI

S'mores! We cooked a lot of walleye over open campfires. When I was a girl scout, we made hobo packets, basically hamburger, veggies, sliced potatoes wrapped in foil and cooked directly on the fire.

I used to love camping so much, everything tastes better out in the great outdoors over a campfire. :yum: I think one of my faves is good ol' scrambled eggs and potatoes, maybe some cut up bacon or Spam mixed in with it. Skillet meals, and as Dawg mentioned, foil wrapped packet meals are easy and so good.

Here's a couple of threads with some ideas, Justice. Have fun, and you're always welcome to take some pics to share with us! We love pics. :)

Some of the posts in the threads below go a little off topic (we do that, lol), but it's fun reading. :)

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/meal-ideas-for-camping-90224.html
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f39/whats-your-favorite-camp-meal-81223.html

Last edited:
Define camping. RV "camping", Like Boy/Girl Scout tent camping where you use coolers and have perishables or hiking/back packing type camping?:ermm:

Make sure there are no fire bans in your region before heading out.
Couple of weeks ago I took my grand kids car camping in our local mountain and a ranger came to our site to let us know about the red flag alert (no camp fires, no charcoal).
Good thing I always bring my portable charcoal grill and my backpacking butane stoves as backups. The kids were disappointed about the fire ban but I made them great burgers on my heavy cast iron pan over my little backpacking stoves. I make killer burgers at camp.

No fire camp site = on one around the fire pit

Attachments

• No.Campfire.JPG
    No.Campfire.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I agree with having foil dinners, my favorite. A slice of butter, S&P, ground meat, potatoes, carrots, onions, double wrapped in foil and put right on the hot fire.

My second favorite, anything anyone makes hot over the fire, as long as that anyone is not me. ha.

hot dogs baked beans.... and yes marshmallows..

though i am burnt out on marshmallows. i work for a factory that makes marshmallows.. and every other non-perishables.

i am a rollback truck driver that takes the garbage bins and dumps them at the dump.. 7 plants locally make up this company...

but it is the marshmallow dumpster (also combined with shred wheat) that is the toughest to dump. it creeps out very slowly... like marshmallow cream on a cold day. it makes me so frustrated sometimes i get angry at the mmention of marshmallows.

waiting for that stuff to come out is like trying to coax a teenager out of bed at 5am.

Last edited:
Banana boats were always a winner at Girl Scout camp-outs.

For each one you'll need:
1 square of aluminum foil
1 banana
chocolate chips, or leftover chocolate squares from S'mores (I suppose you can also use peanut butter chips. They didn't have those around when I was a leader...)
mini-marshmallows (sorry, rockey_, had to bring them up ;) )

Place banana on foil, make a cut from stem-to-blossom-end right through the skin, about half-way through the banana.

Shove chocolate and marshmallows into the cut in the banana.

Draw foil up around banana so that the seam is on the topside. I bunch it up so that it forms a ridge that you can grab it by with tongs.

Let it cool a bit, unwrap the foil, and eat with a spoon.

Have fun camping!

Tent Camping!

Now CI Dutch ovens and CI skillets can come into play. Blackened steak, fish or chicken would be on my menu. Maybe a wonderful braised dish, stew or chili in the Dutch oven. A fruit crisp or buckle for dessert.:yum:

waiting for that stuff to come out is like trying to coax a teenager out of bed at 5am.
So true about a teenager. :LOL:

The sky is the limit as to what to fix.
But it all depends on how much equipment you want to carry and how far you have to carry it.

When I did camp out (I no longer have the desire to do so.) Easy to fix things like hot dogs early on in the trek, dried beef, taters, fruit, and beans were the norm the deeper away from civilization you get. Easy to pack and cheap.

If you're camping close to civilization the more elaborate the meals can become. If you don't have to haul it on your back and have some form of keeping things cold your menu can expand.

Enjoy your camping trip. What you see and experience is more important then the meal. :ohmy:

And I agree about popcorn. It's fun and delicious.

Freeze dried food!
Like Mountain House.
My friend took Joylents coffee for the mornings, for the first time he wasnt shaking in the early morning.

Corn on the cob, a couple potatoes (don't forget the foil), Rice-a-Roni, a baggie (if you're hiking - a box if you're going to be camping near your car) of biscuit mix and/or pancake mix (just add water), hot chocolate or apple cider, a box of macaroni and cheese, a couple of cans of chili, or if you're going to have a cooler, make some baked beans with hot dogs in them and bring those with you to heat up in a pot.

I used to bring up some hamburger for the first meal and a box of hamburger helper. That was when you made it with water, not milk. And speaking of milk, you can get those pints of milk that don't have to be refrigerated. I've seen them at QFC (Kroger foods) for $1 each.

With the freeze fried food you can also get desserts. I used to buy the strawberry cheesecake. It wasn't bad. And if you aren't going with a cooler, you might be able to find bacon strips in a can.

Freeze dried food!
Like Mountain House.

Mountain House and other makes of freeze dried foods are pricey, and IMO, they don't taste that good. They're great for some who backpack and want to carry several days' worth of food without weighing down their packs.
And for car camping I don't see a practical benefit of using freeze dried foods when you can load a cooler worth of fresh food. Rock.

Well I dont know your brands, I used to get military rations when I camped. Oh that porridge was ace in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom