Can anyone suggest a creative use for dried ancho chilis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well I replied in this thread Here: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/317781-post91.html

chili butter I shall expand upon though.

I use a block of irish salted butter (room temp).
2 cloves of garlic, 6 fresh chilis seeded (I use a combo of Jalapeno and white habanero), a T spoon of English mustard, grated Extra Mature canadian cheese, and a small white onion.

the veg I put in a blender 1`st and make into small shreds 2-3mm.
add the butter, cheese, mustard, and blend momentarily just until well mixed.
you need Very clean ramakins and then push this mix into each making sure you get All the air as best you can, cover with clingfilm and put in the fridge.
it will stay good for well over 4 months (although it never lasts that long) I know it does as my father in law didn`t even open his I gave him for x-mas, 4 months later, it was still perfect :)

it goes Great on hot toast or baked potatoes:)

Rehydreate, mash, and make Ancho Fritters. Serve w/ RedPepper Aioli
As mentoined, compound butter.
Grind in coffee mill, use powder to enhace bbq sauce, sour cream, mayo, marinades, anything really.

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite things to do with chiles. CJS posted this on another forum and I absolutely love it.

You can vary the number of chiles and the amount of cayenne depending on your heat tolerance (and your sense of adventure).

Combine 1 1/4 c. heavy cream, a scant 2/3c. whole milk, and 2 - 6 dried red chiles (I use ancho, mullato, and pasilla - you could use all one kind). Heat until barely boiling and let steep 15 minutes. Strain, add 1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne and reheat .

Place 12 ounces of bittersweet or semisweet (or equal amounts of each) in a fodd processor. Pour the hot milk mixture over and let sand 30 seconds. Process for 1 minute, add 2 eggs, and process for another 45 seconds. Pour into 1/4 cup ramekins and refrigerate six hours or overnight.

These are so good just the way they are - but. . . . . after the last 2 eggs I add the remaining 3/4 c. heavy cream and process until well blended. Then I chill the mixture and then put it in the ice cream freezer. Yummmm!:)

Last edited:
Seven S said:
so... can you suggest a creative use for dried ancho chilis... i have this bag of them and would like ideas, thx!

Do a Mexican thing.Rehydrate them. Stuff them with spicy ground beef/tomatoes/walnuts and bake.Serve with sour cream!

Back
Top Bottom