Can I ask a dumb (pork) question??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

victoria4

Assistant Cook
I have recently decided that hands down pig is the best tasteing animal on earth. Ham, chops, and bacon. Bacon. Need i say more? Anyway i have seen many photos in cook books that show pork roasts and I have made many myself. But they all taste the same. Always. And as much as I love pork it doesnt taste as amazing as other pork dishes. So I guess I'm asking if anyone has a decent recipe for pork or beef roast. The best you've ever had. And can beef and pork be swapped in any/most roast recipes? guess that was 2 questions ha. thanks

I love pork.
It doesn't have to taste the same.
Try simmereing a pork butt or schoulder with some bay and peppercorn and onion.Then shred,re-season and bake with some oranges and their juice.

Another way would be to unroll/butterfly it and stuff it with just about anything.Nuts,herbs,mushrooms etc. Roll it back up and tie it.

Try braising it in enchilada sauce.

A combo of soy,sherry,ginger and garlic works for a marinade if you want to grill it.When it is almost done brush it a mixture of honey and dark sesame oil as a glaze.

I usually make my pork shoulder/fresh ham/butt plain with nothing added. When done I separate the meat from the fat and put in dinner size packages in the freezer.

When I'm ready to use the pork, I cut down the chunks and cook them again in whatever I'm making. Chili, simmered in gravy, tacos, etc.

I like it that I'm working with basically a blank canvas and can make the pork into anything I like without having just one flavor to work with.

It helps because I like to buy large roasts. The fresh ham was 10#, but at $.99 a pound, it was a great buy and it filled my freezer with enough pork for a couple of months. The bone alone made the meatiest split peas ever.

Last edited:
Pork goes well with garlic. Try larding the pork roast with slices of garlic or cutting a slit inthe roast and stiffing it with mushrooms and garlic.

Back
Top Bottom