Can I freeze ricotta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
I made Piccolina's excellent stuffed mushrooms two nights ago but I was left with a bunch of leftover stuffing. In it is ricotta, mozz, parm and pesto. Can I freeze it for future mushrooms? I think it would be fine but wanted to double check. Thanks!:)

I don't know why it wouldn't work. I make stuffed shells and manicotti with a ricotta, mozz, parm and spinich filling - and they freeze just fine.

cora, you ought to make them & send them off to a relative or someone else who may appreieciate them! i'm one who appreciate gifts of food as many of us may well be!

Last edited:
That's a good idea luvs, but I don't know anyone in this town aside from our neighbors. Knowing them, I don't think they'd go for it. They do appreciate my baking skills though. Who knows, maybe I'll send some over anyway. Thanks for the idea!

Yes Luvs - freezing ricotta will change the texture and make it "grainy" - something that you might notice if it was used uncooked. However, when baked as in Piccolina's Italian 3 Cheese and Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms (guess that is the recipe you were talking about corazon?) I doubt you will be able to taste the difference or notice any texture difference if used within a month or two (before freezer burn sets in).

Just about every company that sells frozen foods successfully freezes ricotta cheese. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to.

I'm trying to think of things I've eaten that were frozen and contained ricotta. I honestly don't recall any being grainy.

Back
Top Bottom