"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-19-2008, 02:46 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by milkdemcows View Post
Not necessarily (if Chemistry memory serves well enough). Water will hit 212 degrees F before actually boiling--it still takes quite a bit of energy to bring it to boiling.

Eggs shouldn't actually be boiled anyway, it makes them a little tougher. So when I cook them, I bring to boil then turn off heat and let set 13-15 minutes (the water stops boiling right away). So cooking them in near boiling-temp water should be ok.

When cooking something that calls for boiling water, do you monitor the temperature of the water with a thermometer or just heat it until it bubbles?

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #12
Head Chef
Try one egg. If it works you got it.

Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #13
Sous Chef
Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Did it work?
In order to change the world, one must first start with one's self.
Gossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #14
Master Chef
You know the one about best laid plans? Well I had planned on making the ham salad on Saturday and was going to try the eggs in the slow cooker/crockpot. However, DH had other plans and we were gone for most of the day. Then Sunday was spent putting in the outlet for the new stove and installing the new range hood. Monday we went and picked up the new range and installed it so I ended up just doing things on the new stove. I thank all who responded and believe if I'm ever in the position again I will try it. I may have to do it just to satisfy my own curiosity!
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:18 PM   #15
Sous Chef
Do you have an electric steamer?

I always boil my eggs in my steamer now. They always turn out consistent.
JGDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:41 PM   #16
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Originally Posted by ChefRuby View Post
Add several tbsp water into slow cooker, use "high" mode to keep slow cooker warm. Boil water with tea pot (or any other pots), then quickly pour boiling water into slow cooker.
You'd think that , if she could boil water in a pot, there would be no need to cook the eggs in a crock pot, n'est pas?
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #17
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
You'd think that , if she could boil water in a pot, there would be no need to cook the eggs in a crock pot, n'est pas?
Non, tu ne me comprends pas.

For "tea pot', it is an electric tea pot, no requirement of stove.
Look around us, it is beautiful.
ChefRuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #18
Senior Cook
Hm, Slightly off topic but the other day I saw bags of hardboiled, peeled, eggs in the dairy section of my supermarket. I thought "cool... I can make deviled eggs a lot quicker!"

Into the fires of forever, we will fly through the heavens, With the power of the universe we stand strong together
Through the forcing of power, we will soon reach the hour, For victory we ride, Fury of the Storm!
VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote