Can I omit the alcohol from my recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angelicbabe0907 said:
I wanted to make steak dianne because I had it when I was younger and loved it. It's actually in a healthy recipe book that I own. I'm trying to lose weight and wanted to make some nice food as well. But I just simply dont have the money to buy the alcohol for the recipe. Well I have no idea how much brandy costs or red wine for that matter. I only really drink pre mixed drinks, and so I was just hoping to omit the alcohol for the sake of money. However, as it seems to be such a big part of the recipe, I'll check out the local liquor store next time I'm down town to see if I can get a small bottle or something. :D. Thanks for your time though guys. I appreciate it.

first - there are many steak dishes that don't require alcohol, but it won't be steak diane without the red wine & brandy

second - you'll save both calories and money by switching to a little wine with your dinner instead of the canned drinks, which are both expensive and extremely high calorie.

third - if you want to cut down on the calories in your steak diane: select a lean piece of beef, trim the fat entirely, if you're using a teflon pan you can probably forget the butter or oil for the saute, cut back on the wine a little, use about 1/2 the brandy, and cut back on the butter for the final swirl (i hate to say forget about the butter at the end entirely because it adds so much richness, but you could)
icon12.gif

First time I made a cognac sauce, I bought a $3 single-serving bottle of cognac - you should be able to find a comparable bottle of brandy for less than that. And there's a good thread of recommended wines under $10 on the DC boards as well. So you should be able to get what you need for less than $10 total if you shop around.

ironchef said:
If you're going for a French-style dish, I would recommend doing a Steak au Poivre or Steak Oscar, both of which can be done without alcohol. If you do not want alcohol in the dish, you may as well forget about doing the Steak Diane.

I absolutley agree. Choose a different recipe.

Back
Top Bottom