"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Heck, I have to be careful roasting Hab's in the kitchen I work at. Even with a commercial exhaust system, one of the other cooks filled the kitchen with habanero fumes as he was sauteing them months ago. I would be interested in smoking some Hab's, though. Heck, I've got my smoker fired up right now. Maybe I need to make a run to the store????

Old 03-13-2008, 11:48 PM   #12
Head Chef

You must love playing with fire. Even the best vent system can not do justice to habanaro fumes. If you love your family,friends,etc go out side

Old 03-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
Yes, am a chile head in training. Will put hot sauce on almost everything, including salad. Actually, as an aside, a bit of chile stuff goes well with most salads.

We bought this house with a Viking stove and a very strong vent fan (I hate it but that is another story) and would only consider roasting habaneros if the fan was on full blast and the windows were open. And would make sure there were no kids about.

As QSis said the Anaheims, which are fairly mild, will be fine. But the habaneros are a different story.

Habaneros have a lovely flavor and the heat is tamed somewhat by roasting. But be very careful when doing so.

And always wear gloves when dealing with any truly hot pepper. Call Auntdot a wimp if you must but I have seen some very, in retrospect, uproariously funny incidents resulting from the cutting very hot peppers without the gloves.
Its not the cutting so much as when the lunkhead rubs their eyes without washing their hands for 10 minutes....

lets just say.. not only can the feel the fire in their eyes, you can see it literally!
Old 03-16-2008, 01:37 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonsen View Post
Partial thanks to the cool-down fan the oven automatically activates once power to the heating elements has been cut (aka. , the "off" button"). Harmlessly jettisons whatever said irritant matter outside. Sorry birds
Actually, birds are not affected by hot spices. The capsaicin in peppers that fools us into thinking something is hurting us does not affect a bird's nervous system in the same way. We had a Macaw that loved peppers, and anytime I cooked with peppers I would throw the seeds, ribs and stems to our chickens and they went nuts for them.

Unfortunately, it did not lead to spicy eggs.

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikC View Post
Actually, birds are not affected by hot spices. The capsaicin in peppers that fools us into thinking something is hurting us does not affect a bird's nervous system in the same way. We had a Macaw that loved peppers, and anytime I cooked with peppers I would throw the seeds, ribs and stems to our chickens and they went nuts for them.

Unfortunately, it did not lead to spicy eggs.
the bird part was a joke. lol.
Thats good to know though
Old 06-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

No way! When I was a young Marine I went home with a buddy, his grandmother was from Mexico, she was cooking, not sure if she was roasting or what, some type of hot peper. I didnt last a minute in the kitchen. I literally felt like Id been gased.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:00 AM   #17
Executive Chef

When I first started growing habs, I thought I would dry a few in the toaster oven. Never did that again.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:10 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Glad I read this thread, I'd have just put them under the broiler like when I do red peppers.
Are the fumes really that bad? It's a pepper! I understand it's a crazy hot pepper..... but really? That bad???
Wow. Something new every day!!!! :)
Old 06-10-2008, 08:24 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
Glad I read this thread, I'd have just put them under the broiler like when I do red peppers.
Are the fumes really that bad? It's a pepper! I understand it's a crazy hot pepper..... but really? That bad???
Wow. Something new every day!!!! :)
I actually roasted the peppers on the grill. But for one of the sauce recipes I needed to saute some ingredients including the habs. My kitchen did have a "spicy aroma" but it wasn't too bad. And I was standing over the pan.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:02 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I understand it's a crazy hot pepper..... but really? That bad???
Wow.
Just think of the pepper spray they sell for self defense. Same idea.