Can I roast some Habaneros indoors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
and some anaheim's inside without killing myself? LOL I'm out of charchoal and it's wet outside.:ermm:
I wouldn't. Even roasting jalepeno's in the house or cooking them just regular, set my senses in a whirl. My husband for sure can't stand it. It'd probably fill your house with fumes that'd be awful to bear...

I've never understood why people get such a kick out of really hot food. I mean the real spicy stuff just kills me. I collect hot sauces. I have about 25 little bottles of them and love them. Mostly for their cute bottles but they do add flavor. But just drop, I am not even kidding here, on a scrambled egg, knocked me off the stool and set me to drinking milk all day long. I was on fire, no extra flavor, how can you taste something when your face is ablaze?:ohmy:

I've never understood why people get such a kick out of really hot food. I mean the real spicy stuff just kills me. I collect hot sauces. I have about 25 little bottles of them and love them. Mostly for their cute bottles but they do add flavor. But just drop, I am not even kidding here, on a scrambled egg, knocked me off the stool and set me to drinking milk all day long. I was on fire, no extra flavor, how can you taste something when your face is ablaze?:ohmy:

Me neither. I like the flavor of spices, so I am careful when I mix them to make sure they don't 'over power' everything else. Which is one of the reasons for smoking the habeneros, it helps to mild out the flavor as well as give it a nice smoky flavor. For me that means easier and more versatile use in recipes.
I really do like the flavor of Jalepenos, but the last thing I want to do is just sit there and chomp on them all day, or layer it on a pizza crust, use hot sauce for the pizza sauce, cover with pepper cheese, and call it a Hot Atomic Pepper Pizza!!:glare:
That's just showing off!:LOL:

I have a friend named Doug, who has moved to other environs, but when he was a neighbor, he managed a packing house in Oxnard, and when the habaneros came in he would give me about half a bushel. (I have to grow 'em or buy 'em, now). I always roast them OUTSIDE. I also dry them OUTSIDE. I also use them in salsa, for paste, sauce, minced fresh...I have been known to occasionally pop one in my mouth like a berry and scarf it down. They make incredible poppers...de-seed, and stuff with queso fresco, batter like rellenos and deep fry. An excellent excuse for drinking a lot of beer with lime and salt. If you need one.

and some anaheim's inside without killing myself? LOL I'm out of charchoal and it's wet outside.:ermm:

LOL!!! I did not read through this whole thread, but I admire your willing to ask!!!! I would have had to ask the same question myself!

It was holiday time and I made a batch of food for the girls/guys that worked there, me included. I love home made salsa and don't think I've ever made it twice the same way. I made 4 batches all different being very proud of my talent:LOL:. Brought home made chips too and lots of them. A good variety I might add. There was tons of other food I made too but was particularly proud of the salsas. Expected rave reviews, gad, I'm caddy. The owner had been eating all day long seemingly enjoying every morsel that passed her lips and finally she came over to me and said, "You know the old saying is so true what they say about Mexican food." I said, "Oh yea, what's that." She said, "Mexican food is so good and so hot, follow it up with ice cream please and quickly to cool the spot.":huh: I've never forgotten that. It took me a minute but I figured it out.....:)

Last edited:
Last week I made a Papaya Habanero sauce. I fire-roasted two Hab's, skinned and seeded them, minced, and sauteed them with some julienned shallots and diced papayas, then simmered in pineapple juice, and finally pureed. I made about 2 qt. It was good! Nice, rounded flavor with a quick, light jab of heat at the start that quickly faded to a mild warmth.

Last week I made a Papaya Habanero sauce. I fire-roasted two Hab's, skinned and seeded them, minced, and sauteed them with some julienned shallots and diced papayas, then simmered in pineapple juice, and finally pureed. I made about 2 qt. It was good! Nice, rounded flavor with a quick, light jab of heat at the start that quickly faded to a mild warmth.
I'd sure like you to post that somewhere...hint hint hint

I'd sure like you to post that somewhere...hint hint hint

I don't really understand what you're asking for here. It looks pretty well posted to me. I guess it doesn't have traditional formatting and he left the salt and the exact proportions out of the recipe above, but if he cooks anything like me, it's all by feel and that's a recipe.

Also, didn't I read something earlier in the thread about how you don't like really hot foods?

We were just kidding him about making sure to share the recipe by putting it in a thread of its own. I cook the same way a lot of the times, no exact measurements.

Sounds fantastic...I'll have to try it. It doesn't take too many Hab's for flavor. Overdo them and that subtle , smoky flavor is lost to all those Scovill's.

Well, I didn't measure anything, just "cooking by the seat of my pants", like I usually do when I've got a deadline. Yes, I left out of the salt. I can't even remember if I added any. If I did, it wasn't much. You might want to add a little honey at the end when you taste for seasoning. I diced the papayas up into 1/4" dice, so that they'll cook down faster. Otherwise, just procede as I stated.

Back
Top Bottom